free website stats program Lightest Helmet | Harley Davidson Forums

Lightest Helmet

Not being familiar with the helmet laws in your state, the non DOT helmets are usually lighter and you will find numerous options. If a DOT helmet is a must you might look for Carbon Fiber helmets as an option.

I've tried a lot of helmets on. The are all mostly near the same weight (within each type). One thing to keep in mind. After wearing the helmet for awhile your neck will acclimate (get used to) the extra weight. Take it from a guy that had my 7th (down from the skull) vertebra broken in an auto accident years ago. You will get used to wearing it. It also helps to exercise your neck with simple movement routines.

I personally like Hawk Helmets. They have more amenities for the buck and look good too. If you must have the lightest helmet then that would be a half helmet. It's cooler too. But you won't have as much protection as a 3/4 or full face. Good luck finding what you need.

I was not aware of any non DOT helmets. In Florida I don't see any. DOT is a minimum requirement for structural protection. I would not want less.

I've tried a lot of helmets on. The are all mostly near the same weight (within each type). One thing to keep in mind. After wearing the helmet for awhile your neck will acclimate (get used to) the extra weight. Take it from a guy that had my 7th (down from the skull) vertebra broken in an auto accident years ago. You will get used to wearing it. It also helps to exercise your neck with simple movement routines.

I personally like Hawk Helmets. They have more amenities for the buck and look good too. If you must have the lightest helmet then that would be a half helmet. It's cooler too. But you won't have as much protection as a 3/4 or full face. Good luck finding what you need.

I was not aware of any non DOT helmets. In Florida I don't see any. DOT is a minimum requirement for structural protection. I would not want less.

Non DOT helmets are often sold as "Novelty" helmets and you can even buy DOT stickers to put on them in some places. Not the helmets I would recommend for safety by any means but they are an option.

Looking to buy a new helmet and need the lightest one i can get have neck problems,

Definitely try a carbon fiber helmet...this one is an H-D older model 2006 made for them by HJC...and use goggles, flip up faceshield will catch in the wind if you turn or lift your head slightly and rattles like crazy.

HDCarbonFiberHelmet.jpg

The carbon fiber helmets are the lightest ones. Like NEWHD says, you should look for some reviews to see if there is a problem with the operations of visors, shields and the like. A half helmet is lighter than a 3/4 or a full. kind of depends on how much coverage you want.

Just bought the H-D 3/4 Ultra Jet Carbon/Kevlar (98273-09) from my dealer.
Very light and strong. List was $350. Last one in stock and their cost was $200. She marked it down to $140 because it was the last one. (Love a sale!)
Has those neat Carbon/Kevlar lines in the material. I really like the looks and weight.
I usually wear a full-face but it's nice in hot weather to go to a 3/4.

RWB makes some good points here. Whatever your choice, be sure it at least conforms to DOT. After going through my accident, I would not recommend anything else. The helment looked like it had gone through a grinder but it saved my noggin.

I used NXT for years and loved them. Then my and wife's helmet got recalled in 2005 due to impact intrution tests showed they did not meet DOT standards. When the company did not offer a free helmet in return, I trashed it and went to HJC. Bigger and heavier, but I'm use to it now. The NXT was amazing. Like not wearing a helmet. But did not want to go with the same company who I felt did not even offer anything in return during the recall.

Motorcycle Helmets and Bike Helmets Including Full Face Helmets and Half Helmet Beanies

Back