free website stats program Lifter Knock | Harley Davidson Forums

Lifter Knock

babybiker

I have a 2006 Dyna with 11,000 miles on the engine, the delaer replaced the lifters at 8,000 miles due to knocking, now there are knocking again, Any suggestions, the dealer said not sure why they would start knocking again.

Check your oil pressure. Perhaps the oil pump relief valve is dumping. If this is the problem then a Baisley relief spring should do the trick. Good luck!!

Just how bad is this knock? Are you hearing it at certain RPM's or certain gears? Need more info on this! I am fishing here! BTW. do you have a windshield on there?

No Windshield, had one once, used it to ride to Vegas and threw it away when I got there.

The knock starts when the engine gets hots and it is not consistent, will start then stop and start again, doesn't matter what rpm's Im' at or what gear.

Okay let me sound blond, how do I check the oil pressure?

Some riders with air temperature guage in their fairings replace them with HD oil pressure guage kit in the 2009 HD Parts & Accessories catalog. The dealer will have the 2 page Installation Instruction to show you were the connections are for your model HD SG...

Loud knocking sounds serious, like overheating and serious pinging issue...I would look into doing some investigation, because it can't be good what ever it is...knocking/spun bearing...or serious lean mixture issues. Check primary chain tension, I thnik you year had auto-tensioner, but inspect to be sure timing and everything is in order that you can reach easily.

No Windshield, had one once, used it to ride to Vegas and threw it away when I got there.

The knock starts when the engine gets hots and it is not consistent, will start then stop and start again, doesn't matter what rpm's Im' at or what gear.

Okay let me sound blond, how do I check the oil pressure?
What weight oil are you using? What about mod's and what grade of fuel? Proccess of elimination. Low grade fuel will cause (labor knock) pre det. Using too light of a oil can cause noises. Lugging engine!

Back