free website stats program Lid Organizer on Ultra keeps pealing off. | Harley Davidson Forums

Lid Organizer on Ultra keeps pealing off.

BuzzCap7

My lid organizer is put on by double sticky back tape. I re-did it. Put a LOT more sticky back tape on, even used rubber cement glue.

NOTHING IS WORKING!!!

Anyone know the BEST way to stick the lid organizer on the trunk of an ultra so it will NEVER come off?

Mastic? The black stuff used on roofs?

If it means anything: I live and ride in S. florida. The bike is garaged. I am riding all the time (every day) in the hot florida sun.

Thank you!

BuzzCap7

Try a product made by 3M. It's called 5200. It's like a silicone, but thicker and toughfer!
If you don't want it permenant, then try 3M double stick tape from the auto store. I use the tape alot on some parts. Never fails.

The 3m double stick commercial tape works well but it must be applied to an absolutely clean surface. Clean the surface with alcohol a few times before applying it and let it heat up in the sun before putting any weight in it.

I had the same problem. Seems like the stock tape supplied is something like the strech and release product that 3M has out. When it is streched, it releases hence, when you put something in the orginizer, it pulls loose. I replaced it with the 3M heavy duty double siede tape (red backing ) that I got at Lowe's. You do have to clean the surface (i also cleaned the first time but we already been down that road) Use either a prep pad or just rubbing alch and a cotton ball then wipe with lint free cloth to get any little bits of lint off. Mine has been on for four months and about 9000 miles with no seperation issues.

I found that if you get the commercial brand double sided tapes at a body shop supply house that they seem to be a better quality tape and stick better. JMHO.

I would beleive that to be true. Saw the stuff at Lowe's, read the instructions and looked like it would work. Any commercial product tends to be better. We were leaving for Bar Harbor Me in a couple of days, I was there, it was there, what can I say. I gave into convience.

My lid organizer is put on by double sticky back tape. I re-did it. Put a LOT more sticky back tape on, even used rubber cement glue.

NOTHING IS WORKING!!!

Anyone know the BEST way to stick the lid organizer on the trunk of an ultra so it will NEVER come off?

Mastic? The black stuff used on roofs?

If it means anything: I live and ride in S. florida. The bike is garaged. I am riding all the time (every day) in the hot florida sun.

Thank you!

BuzzCap7

Did you get a new bike? Your avatar does not look like an ultra.

I have a rack on the top of my tourpak. So I took the screws out, removed the rack and then mounted the organizer on the inside of the cover. Drilled through the existing holes in the top and through the organizer backing. Mounted the rack back with over-size washers inside the organizer. Pretty secure.

TQ

Did you wind up tearing up any of the pouches or did you just wind up inside a couple of them. I have the rack on my trunk as well. Everything is pretty secure but that sounds like a great idea.

After trying industrial tape several times eventually in the heat the organizer would still sag and start to come loose. I too finally drilled and screwed with the rack screws and never had a problem since. My rack is different so screw holes may not line up the same as the standard rack. I drilled front top of rack with organizer stuck in place and some holes ended up in pouches and were hard to get to but I'm glad I did it. Be sure if you choose to do it to use as big of washers on OD as possible because the plastic is not very thick and a tad bit brittle.

Did you wind up tearing up any of the pouches or did you just wind up inside a couple of them. I have the rack on my trunk as well. Everything is pretty secure but that sounds like a great idea.

The screws are inside the pouches. I put my hand inside the pouch when I drilled the holes so I could stop as soon as I was through and not damage the pouch itself. No biggie. Like Fifthgear says above, go to the store and get some oversize washers to spread the load well.

TQ

Back