free website stats program License plate question | Harley Davidson Forums

License plate question

Jdsmitty10

This may be a dumb question but, my black plastic part where the license plate mounts is bigger than my actual license plate. I do not have frame on it yet. Do the license plate frames fit the outside size of that black plastic or my actual PA licesne plate which is smaller? either way i think it will look hidious...any pointers?

Check my album under "the Deuce" I did mine in about an hour. Bought a HD chrome License plate cover($14) four HD symbol screws($19). Place the frame centered under the fender but pushed up about 1.25 inches, marked the new holes for the screws to go through, traced the outline of the frame onto the plastic license holder. Removed the cover, drilled the four holes, trimmed the excess along the trace marks with a jig saw. It was done. Gotta get photobucket.

That looks good man. I will def be doing that mod real soon... Need to find a nice frame first. Did you have any problems with the edge being rough after cutting it? I'm guessing you filed and sanded it to get a nice smooth edge? No melting while cutting it?

Harley shop should have the frame, it's basic frame. I used a file/rasp to round and smooth the edges. No problems with melting, but i used a medium tooth blade took my time.

Hey, Here is one I know all about. Check out my album, I think there is a decent picture of the rear of my softail.
1. I bought a slim line chrome frame for my license plate
2. I moved it up as high as it would go and marked the new holes
3. I removed the whole plastic license plate bracket
4. Drilled new holes and mounted JUST THE PLATE.
5. Fired up the jig saw (not a saws all) and trimmed off everything that stuck outside the plate footprint
6. Remove plate
7. sand edges of fabricated plastic plate bracket, and if you have the attention to detail that I have you can finish it all the way down to plastic polish
8. Re mount the bracket and plate with the chrome frame.

Now you have the look your looking for

Hope this helps

This sounds like an easy enough job. I may tackle that this weekend. Thanks guys for the suggestions. I am guessing the bracket isnt too difficult to remove from the bike?

ekw06deuce is more brave than I. Something about reciporicating, sharp, carbon steel near my paint job gets me very nervous.

not sure i want my jig saw that close to the deuce paint either...i will scope out the situation and see how much room i have to work..

Harley's license plate frames state they fit a 7.25" x 4.25" plate. My PA plate is a roughly 7"x4". I am guessing these frames will fit that considering every other state other than 1 has that size too??.. just making sure before I order one online.

Back