free website stats program left turn signal inop | Harley Davidson Forums

left turn signal inop

Floyd Hoffman

I have an '86 Electra Glide with an inop left turn signal, front and back. I have swapped bulbs around so I know it is not a bad bulb. This bike has the signal buttons that stay in when pushed and then go off when pushed again. After trouble shooting the switch with my millimeter I determined that it was bad. My local dealer parts man said that H.D. does not make that switch anymore so he ordered one from an after market source. This new switch is the push in and hold type. I disconnected the leads from the old switch and temporarily connected the new one. With power on, the right signals worked, but still no left signals. Do I have another problem or is this push and hold switch not comparable with my bike.

When you say it does not work do you mean it doesn't flash or it doesn't light up at all?
If no power at all check wires for power and try cleaning the bulb sockets and check for power there as well.

Trace the wires back, if they run under the rear fender they have been known to break or get damaged and cause lights to not work.

Back