free website stats program Left over shift arm on inside? | Harley Davidson Forums

Left over shift arm on inside?

R_W_B

I own a 2007 Street Bob I bought used a few months ago. It came to me with forward controls. I notice down inside between the crankcase and the inner primary housing is the old mid shifter arm, just sticking up all alone.
Looks kinda rusted in some areas.
I got a flashlite and followed it down and it does in fact go into the primary inner housing. It looks like it has been pulled out some since the arm is right up against the crankcase housing. It doesn't move, just kinda stuck there.
No oil leakage or anything like that.

Is this normal ?

There is a plug on the outside primary where the old mid shifter used to be. Should there be a plug on the inside ?

I own a 2007 Street Bob I bought used a few months ago. It came to me with forward controls. I notice down inside between the crankcase and the inner primary housing is the old mid shifter arm, just sticking up all alone.
Looks kinda rusted in some areas.
I got a flashlite and followed it down and it does in fact go into the primary inner housing. It looks like it has been pulled out some since the arm is right up against the crankcase housing. It doesn't move, just kinda stuck there.
No oil leakage or anything like that.

Is this normal ?

There is a plug on the outside primary where the old mid shifter used to be. Should there be a plug on the inside ?
Some one did not remove the old linkage, you still can and plug the hole in the primary

if you remove the lever by cutting it, the gasket that seals around the bore will most likely move and will leak out the hole where the lever was. when i fit forwards on a dyna i take the primary off, remove the lever and machine a dowel to stop the gasket coming out.

if you remove the lever by cutting it, the gasket that seals around the bore will most likely move and will leak out the hole where the lever was. when i fit forwards on a dyna i take the primary off, remove the lever and machine a dowel to stop the gasket coming out.

Wow, thanks for that guy. Glad you let me know that. I read somewhere else that some folks put a short threaded bolt back in the hole. I surmise the gasket you are referring to goes around the shift arm like an O ring maybe? Guess I won't know exactly what I will need until I get it all apart and look at it later.

Another friend told me if when I do ever go into the primary to change my sprocket to 30 tooth, says it gives more pickup and more use out of 6th gear as well as slightly less gas mileage.
Any input on that scenario ?

Hmmm. My Dyna has a plastic sleeve that runs through the primary from the inner to the cover. It is grooved and there are orings on it that seal the inner primary and primary cover from fluid leaking around the sleeve. The shift lever shaft comes to the outside of the primary cover through this sleeve from inside the inner primary. If the inner primary is removed, or the shift lever shaft is cut off on the inside of the inner primary, the shaft can be removed. Nothing else would be required.

TQ

Hmmm. My Dyna has a plastic sleeve that runs through the primary from the inner to the cover. It is grooved and there are orings on it that seal the inner primary and primary cover from fluid leaking around the sleeve. The shift lever shaft comes to the outside of the primary cover through this sleeve from inside the inner primary. If the inner primary is removed, or the shift lever shaft is cut off on the inside of the inner primary, the shaft can be removed. Nothing else would be required.

TQ

thats the earlier style before the auto chain tensioner, 07 up has a small gasket ring that seals between the 2 halves of the primary, the drumming of the cover allows it to move, but the shift shaft holds it roughly in place. without the shifter in there it works its way out and leaks

Back