free website stats program LED brake light & Blinker replacement?? | Harley Davidson Forums

LED brake light & Blinker replacement??

kane2727

Hey guys i have an 08 sportster 883 custom..I want to replace the brake light and blinkers with a LED bulb.Can i do that with a simple blulb swap without any other modifications.Is that eben possible? If so what is the part number i can use to do so? thanks everyone

Another alternative is to go to your H-D Dealer...many of them have LED and other lighting setup displays and ready to demonstrate them. They may be a little more expensive, but I have found that H-D accessories that use chrome are pretty high quality and resistant to pitting. Pickup a new 2011 Parts and Accessories catalog...they are free...but can still cost ya...! Here is the 2009 one in PDF...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/index.php/t-10699.html

I just changed tail light with the Kuryakian LED. it is an exact fit and replaces the entire red housing, not chrome. It is a very nice piece and is very very bright. Also has chrome stripe down middle that looks good also.

They also have plug in replacements that fit bullet turn signals and I am consider those as well.

The only problem you might run into is hyper flashing without the use of load resistors! When I changed to LED's, I didn't use the load resistors and every time I used my blinkers I would get a security alarm light that wouldn't go out until I would turn the ignition off. I installed a load resistor on each light and it took care of that.

I just changed tail light with the Küryakyn LED. it is an exact fit and replaces the entire red housing, not chrome. It is a very nice piece and is very very bright. Also has chrome stripe down middle that looks good also.

They also have plug in replacements that fit bullet turn signals and I am consider those as well.

I can say that the Küryakyn LED taillight works great, and because there are so many, no load equalizer resistor is needed here. I also use Küryakyn Halogen Projector Bullet lights for rear turn signal/running lights.

HarleyKat-1.jpg

They are *BRIGHT* and the good news, Halogen lights do not need load resistors as they draw similar current to incandescent only 8 to 10x brighter. Some H-D dealers stock them so you just buy it and install it the same day.:newsmile071:

Last edited:
Ya, save save money, do the LED bulb replacement, and add the load equalizers. The flasher relay and dash (bulb out) warning light will not work correctly without them (load equalizers that is). You'll save a lot of money. You'll have to add the LE's no matter if you just use replacement bulbs or change out the entire fixture to LED's.

Load equalizers (LE's) are an absolute must for replacement LED's. However, if you're adding extra lighting with LED's, you don't need and LE's... like lights to highlight the engine, for example.

Or maybe you should take a looking this tail light. It is a brake + turn signals all in one tail light. Price is pretty reasonable. I can post some pics of it on my bike if you guys wanna see it. Here is the info:

Harley LED tail light

They have video on the product page as well.

Back