free website stats program Leather Bag Locks | Harley Davidson Forums

Leather Bag Locks

Dr.Evil

It's been a long winter and a lot of just goofing off on this site. I am glad they let us have so much fun on non Harley stuff.

For now I actually get to make an official thread.

I installed the HD #90300003 lock kit yesterday on my bags.
For $65 total cost (2 locks), the locks were keyd to my bike which is great because I now have two extra keys.

Let me say this was very easy. My bags do have the Saggybags installed. The reason I installed the locks is keep out the sneek thieves out. I found my bag open at a bike night last year, thankfully nothing was missing.

Attachments

• Bag1.JPG
    Bag1.JPG
    180.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Bag2.JPG
    Bag2.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 104
They look real nice. What is involved with the install?

The kit comes with all the needed hardware.
I removed 2 of the studs, but you could move the locks up on the flap. I used a wood forsner bit for the main lock hole. The stiff leather drills like wood. I used red locktite on the fasteners. That's it, 10 minutes a bag no fooling.

That is a great idea. Going to get one of those.
I also have the saggybags kit installed. Am I correct in assuming that the lock is installed low enough so as to not have to drill through the top side stiffener?

As a side note; anyone who has the Heritage leather bags, get the saggybags kit. They work. I bought my bike used and it's bags looked tired. The kit makes them look new again.

I installed the saggy bag kits over the winter and they are great. Easier to clean bags since they are stiff. I also bought the new locking device they had for 09 Heritage. Locks are hidden they are great. The only thing bad about them is they are little hard to lock but once you get the hand of them there are nice. Sure gives a piece of miond when you leave your bike with leathers and rain suits in them unprotected at least now they will have to work alittle harder to get them. The locking kit was 54.oo with shipping and all. Both locks keyed the same and nothing interferes when you open them.

I find my quick release bag straps can be a pain to snap sometimes. Do you think the lock kit can be used by itself without bothering to fasten the two straps? Or would that likely put too much pressure on the lock supports?

I find my quick release bag straps can be a pain to snap sometimes. Do you think the lock kit can be used by itself without bothering to fasten the two straps? Or would that likely put too much pressure on the lock supports?

I had the same thought. I was going to leave the straps on for a while and check it out. Im am sure with 2 locks on each bage it would be no problem. I was thinking of cutting off the straps off at the lid and riviting them to the bag under the lid to keep the look.

Actually, if the leather is heavy guage...the lids fit very well, so if the locks are fitted without closure pressure, should not be a problem to leave the fastach straps loose. On the other hand, don't think thin leather which does not hold it's shape well would do as well with a single lock closure. JMO

Back