free website stats program Leaking valve covers | Harley Davidson Forums

Leaking valve covers

Stovebolt

Anybody have any problems with their valve covers leaking? I have an '07 I bought new and last year I had to take it in to have the rear valve cover resealed and it still weeps just a little. I can clean it up very easily when I wash the bike so I can live with that for now. I've been smelling oil "cooking" since then and I thought maybe it was just some of the oil I didn't get cleaned off when the rear vc was fixed. Oh no it wasn't! I just happened to look a little closer when I washed my bike to day and found something I don't like very much. I noticed that one of the bare edges of the cooling fins on the left side of the front jug (blacked out engine XL1200C) was black looking. Oil is leaking out all over the front jug and has been "washing" down the side of the engine for who knows how long. The whole front of the front jug is coated with the black goo! Dang it! So I gotta take it in again! Anyone else experience this? I'm starting to think that HD needs to find a solution to the "leaking" nature of their bikes. I mean it's been what, 106 years? Come on HD get with it!:small3d023:

Sportsters are known for this. If you get a better quality gasket like Cometic or James gaskets, you probably will eliminate it then.

My 08 leaked from rear rocker cover. Fixed under warranty and has not leaked since.

Hate to recommend silly seal but you may have to use some. If you do use new gasket and clean surfaces. apply thin layer and then snug evenly but to not tighten the rocker cover to full torque. Allow the RTV to cure then torque the rocker cover bolts to spec.

Ok sounds good. I'm gonna take it to Shumate Harley in Tri Cities on Sat. and have them fix the front one this time. I also have to have them fix the ignition or whatever 'cuz my bike didn't start this morning and something is afu. This has happened before and they say they fixed it and they hadn't. It started up and drove up on the trailer and when I rode to town to gas it up it wouldn't start. That was almost two years ago. It has done this several times and when I take the batt. out it will start again. My warranty runs out on the 24th of this June so I'm not gonna touch it and then I'm taking it in on Sat.. I'm starting to think I made a mistake by buying a Harley! :bigsmiley19::bigsmiley19::bigsmiley19:

Back