free website stats program leaking transmission | Harley Davidson Forums

leaking transmission

I ride an '86 FXRS-SP with a 1999 engine . The bike has about 127,000 miles. I recently had a the sprocket nut shear of the set screw that holds it in place. the pulley flopped around behing the inner primary but caused no damage other than wearing a groove in the back of the inner primary. I replace all the seals and put it back together. Next morning I had a tranny leak. i pulled it all apart,all seals still intact. When I filled the trans back up. I noticed fluid leaking around the main drive shaft and where the main drive fits over it. I can't find picture of the bearing in any manual. My question. Do I have to take the tranny apart to replace this bearing, and also, does this bearing also function as a seal to keep fluid from weaping out around the shaft. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I did notice that the very edge of the bearing seems to be cracked, its hard to tell since VERY little of the edge actually is visible.

There is a seal that goes into the end of the Main Drive Gear, that seals the space between the Main Drive Gear and the Mainshaft. You do not have to tear the tranny apart to replace this seal.

You should remove that old style pulley and throw it into the scrap bin, and get the new design pulley/nut/lock/spacer.

If Ive followed you correctly its the main shaft oil seal that is the problem
you need to pull the bearing race off the main shaft to get at the seal then if you drill a small hole in the metal part of the seal you can then put in a self tapping screw and pull on the screw to pull the seal out (i use claw end of crowbar ) give the main shaft and seal housing a good clean then fit new seal tap it into place using a length of plastic pipe and a rubber mallet refit the bearing race and reassemble
special tools will be required to pull and refit the main shaft inner bearing race

Brian

i have a 95 flht changed the trans seal, still leaking the guy says the case is no good? and the race moves in & out anyone know a way around this other than a new trans??? ( never something simple right:newsmile016:)
please someone say yes:worthy

May prove to be cheeper to get a 2nd hand trans than buy the tools and parts to fix the one you have

Brian

Etch the case where the race goes in apply some red lock tight to the race band aid on a broken leg probably need a new case

Outer bearing race then the outer seal How does the seal fit loose? Years ago we used lock tite on bearings with pretty good luck Its not a cure all and not a permanent fix

i took it apart changed the quad seal and the shaft seal, the harley seal is double the thickness than the seal the guy put in
(thick as a nickel the guy seal) i put everything together an now it's fine
NO LEAK:bigsmiley8:!!! think that dude was trying to bang me for a trans!!! posted some pics of the leak for you guys. gonna try to get most of my loot back wish me luck, fair is fair
thanks for the input :D

Back