free website stats program Leak between Gearbox and Primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Leak between Gearbox and Primary

Need some help here please guys !
My 2013 Harley Davidson Fat Bob has transmission fluid migrating from the gearbox into the primary drive case at the rate of 100ml every 100 miles ! I've just drained the primary and collected 2600ml of transmission fluid ! The transmission fluid in the gearbox barely made it onto the dipstick !

My questions are :-

• Could running the bike with nearly 3 times the recommended amount of fluid , have done any damage ? ( The transmission and clutch have always worked and felt fine with the excess oil included ! )

• What is the most likely route that this fluid is taking between the two ?
Due to the rate at which this fluid is moving from one chamber to the other , I was wondering about the possibility that one of the flange bolts ( with 'O' ring) which holds the primary case to the gearbox , is the culprit. These bolts would have been removed when the dealership replaced the bearing oil seal in the primary 4 years ago.

I don't think a weeping seal would allow fluid past this quickly.

• If the culprit turns out to be an oil seal , how involved a job is it to do at home ?
Could the clutch pushrod , where it passes through the mainshaft , be the culprit ?

I've posted about this problem on here before but I stated that the primary fluid had not risen. At the time it didn't look as if it had , mainly due to me not being to see the level clearly !

Many thanks in anticipation.

Back