free website stats program Latest Project...Pics | Harley Davidson Forums

Latest Project...Pics

LilMan

Thought some of you may like to see pics of my latest project, custom Timing and Derby covers for my Ultra.

Pics are here on Flickr for some reason, it would not let me create the image links. Probably me doing something wrong!

4599097623_2c70750d96.jpg

4599097647_d6614f888a.jpg

4599714674_a54bf9760e.jpg

4599097689_5eca1c305f.jpg

Many thanks to the folks at AZECE they have quality products at a great price.

I started with their blank, polished 6061 aluminum covers then applied powder coat in the closest red I could find to match my bike's red hot sunglo. Aftwards myself and a old friend of mine, John Smith (yes, that's his real name) of RC Machine and tool came up with the lettering and NC program.

After some playing with the depth and mill sizes, we let let her run with a 1/8" ball end mill at a depth of .005". Once the milling was done, I water sanded the surface with 2000 sandpaper till everything was blended and no sharp edges were felt. Three coats of high-temp clear were applied, let tack dry then baked for 20 minutes to cure.

Factory bolts were replaced with 316 stainless ones I polished to a chrome like appearence, button heads for the Derby, flat heads on Timing.

Before it is asked, "Arabelle" is my bike's name. It is German for Eagle Spirit. The K and backwards R is a trademark of mine and goes on all my work.

Let me know your thoughts!

Lilman

Thanks! For the most part, I like to customize with non off the shelf parts. Guess you can say I like to be unique. Plus it make for a bike easier to recognize if someone tries to grab it.

Awesome looking covers - nice personal touch. I always replace the derby & timing covers on my bikes to add a little of my own personada. Might have to design my own now as yours are like a "bike tattoo." Gr8 job!

Thanks guys! While out on a ride yesterday I had several people ask "Where did you order those?" They were very interested in how I took blanks and created the finished part. Then the questions really started, "can you do this, that and the other?"

May just get some work for my buddy at the machine shop. Wish my shop was big enough, I would invest in a CNC engraving machine.

Thanks Again!

Lilman

Like it! Going to try something a little different on mine as soon as I get a chance. Will post pic when I get it done.

Back