free website stats program King Tour-Pak Amplifier | Harley Davidson Forums

King Tour-Pak Amplifier

ChopperDoc

I have a 2000 FLHTC and just installed the removeable Tour-Pak hardware on.
My bike has the amplifier mounted under the Tour-Pak. The mounting plate in the docking kit has a cut-out but the amplifier would have to be relocated back about a quarter of an inch. Even with this change, there is no clearance to plug the amplifier into its harness.

I did a little looking around at the last "Bike Nite" and couldn't find another dresser with an amp under the Tour-Pak and according to the Repair Manual, the only time the amplifier is used is with a side-car and it mounts in the dash of the side-car.

The bike came with the King Tour-Pak and rear speaker pods on it. Other than upgrading the speakers and putting an amplified radio antenna in the front cowling, I haven't done anything else to the radio system.

Do I even need the amp?

It is no big deal to relocated it behind the docking plate, just wondering why I seem to be the only one that has the amp (other than those with aftermarket sound systems).

I have the '03 standard OEM sound system. No amp. But I did change out the tinny sounding OEM speakers for some Pioneer that I got at WalMart. They don't carry them anymore, but here's some:

PIONEER TSG-1342R 2-Way 140 Watt 5 1/4-Inch Speaker

I rarely have my volume up over half way, and it has always been great sound.

TQ

They have these speakers at the wal mart in town. However, the speakers on my 08 FLHTC are 2 ohm, I'm not comfortable installing 4 ohm in my fairing. What is your opinion?

They have these speakers at the wal mart in town. However, the speakers on my 08 FLHTC are 2 ohm, I'm not comfortable installing 4 ohm in my fairing. What is your opinion?

Some people have a lot of worry about that. I never looked back. Have had the Pioneers on my bike for over 3 years.

TQ

...Do I even need the amp?

It is no big deal to relocated it behind the docking plate, just wondering why I seem to be the only one that has the amp (other than those with aftermarket sound systems).

Not sure if you need it or not, but Mine has that tour-pac mounted amp as well.

On my 03 classic I have an amp mounted under my tour pack.It is mounted so that theconnector comes out the right sde of the bike.It makes a big difference if you have sa CD player and sounds awesome.

You can almost always go UP without any hardware issues. Going down requires consideration.

Example. Factory speaker is 2 ohms, can I go to 3 or 4? Yes.
Factory speaker is 4 ohms can I go to 6? Yes
Factory speaker is 2 ohms can I go to 8. I would not. No damage will happen but Large power loss occur.

Factory speaker is 4 ohms, can I go to 2. I would not. At Hi volume, possible damage.
Factory speaker is 8 ohms can I go to 4. I would not. Same reason
Factory speaker is 8 can I go to 6. Probably if you have good air flow around the power amp.

Back