free website stats program King Tour Pack Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

King Tour Pack Questions

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
OK, here we go with some more questions about adding a quick detach tour pack to my 2008 Street Glide. For the purpose of this thread, let's assume I've decided to just order everything new so it perfectly matches the bike and enhances resale value as Smitty so wisely pointed out. Also, I didn't have a P&A Catalog in front of me so I was using a downloaded version. I'll try to walk through these assumptions and questions in order:

1) I already have a Sundowner seat on the bike so I'll have to use the two up mounting rack instead of the solo one.
2) I already had the detachable passenger backrest put on. According to the diagram on page 389, this backrest uses mounting positions 3 and 4.
3) The solo tour pack rack also uses positions 3 and 4 but I can't use this because of point 1 therefore
4) I'll have to add the docking hardware for positions 1 and 2 in order to use the two up mounting rack

Follow me so far? What did I miss? The picture on page 389 shows all four mounting positions installed so I'm assuming this is not a problem.

The other option would be to slip on a solo seat and then use the solo tour pack rack which would use the docking points already on my bike. Drawback to this is you lose the capability to bring along a passenger or use that passenger space for more luggage.

I think I'll go with the two up option so I'm thinking I need to order the Tour Pack, Two Up Mounting Rack, Two Up Docking Hardware, and the Backrest to put on the pack. Does this sound about right?

A thousand apologies for the long post but I've been driving myself crazy with this. Nothing worse than ordering a bunch of stuff and then finding out there's more stuff yet to get!

Don't forget your antenna. A relocation kit or a new one in the fairing (I recommend a $8 special from O'Reillys).

Yeah, just read that. I've already got a shorty antenna but I guess it still needs to be relocated if I do this. I think the kit's only around $25 - chump change after doing all the other stuff!

That sounds about right. Did you run it by the parts guys at the dealer. The guys behind the parts counter at my dealer are very good at making sure I get all the esetential components necessary for modifications.

That sounds about right. Did you run it by the parts guys at the dealer. The guys behind the parts counter at my dealer are very good at making sure I get all the esetential components necessary for modifications.

Not yet. This is something that's just starting to bounce around in that empty cavity most people store their brain in. Wasn't much interested in what the wife and daughter were watching on TV last night so I sat at the laptop, downloaded the P&A Catalog, and came up with my list. Everything together priced out at $966 with shipping from Zanotti's. Oh well, what's another thousand bucks to enhance my riding experience, right?

I just completed exactly what you described. 2008 Street Glide Crimson Red Sunglo 2up tour pack with premium rack. I ordered the comfort stitch back rest and added rear speakers.
Back rest 52395-03
lock 53194-07
tour pack 53270-08coz
mount 53276-04
rack 53665-87
docking kit 53804-06
speaker kit 77155-06
antenna reloc. 76326-00a
speaker wiring harness 70169-06

I just completed exactly what you described. 2008 Street Glide Crimson Red Sunglo 2up tour pack with premium rack. I ordered the comfort stitch back rest and added rear speakers.
Back rest 52395-03
lock 53194-07
tour pack 53270-08coz
mount 53276-04
rack 53665-87
docking kit 53804-06
speaker kit 77155-06
antenna reloc. 76326-00a
speaker wiring harness 70169-06

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
:cheers

When you get a few more posts, would you mind putting up some pictures of the finished product?

I agree with Lew, I do enjoy music but find that when on the bike I would rather just listen to the sound of the engine (pay very close attention to others around me) and just enjoy the sites as I motor down the road.

That's not quite what I meant.

I know a few folks who turn off their radio on the road, but I'm not one of them. I think highly of my soundtrack while on the bike.

My wife and I have both found the rear speakers just don't help much, and thus, I don't think you get much bang for the buck.

Thanks for that - I wasn't real keen on rear speakers anyway but you just reinforced my feeling and saved me some more money.

Let me know how you make out Dr. as Ive also been looking at adding a tour pack.Been looking on e bay but theyre getting crazy money for junk.

Let me know how you make out Dr. as Ive also been looking at adding a tour pack.Been looking on e bay but theyre getting crazy money for junk.

Yeah, I also cruised Ebay and saw the "knockoffs" being sold for under $200. I can only imagine what the quality is like and how they'd hold up fully loaded. This is one of those areas where I'm afraid the only option is to cough up the cash for the OEM Harley version if you want it to look good on your bike and be fully functional.

Back