free website stats program Kill/Run switch acting as starter | Harley Davidson Forums

Kill/Run switch acting as starter

stevieg

Hi Gang
Ive had numbe rof checks caried out and relays are fine, regulator fine, switch gear fine, however when I switch the kill switch to run it fires the bike up with out me even touching th estart button...any clues :(

Ride shiney side up

I'm sure Hoople will give you all the things to check, but for right now I think I would be looking at the starter switch being defective. It just sounds like the the starter button is stuck in the closed or start position.

Got to agree with HDDon - stuck starter switch or a short in there.

Have you done any recent maintenance or mods in the switch/grip area?

Hopefully you have a service manual with a decent schematic to locate the engine kill switch and wiring color code (this is where the Clymer color schematic is nice) and how it compares roughly to these simplified schematics as a reference. Simple answer would be the momentary start button/wiring and how it relates to the engine kill/run switch, both normally isolated in function... so tell us how it goes once you get in there. Use "divide and conquer" method by looking at nearest point where the converge and going in the direction your DMM (Digital Multi-meter) takes you. Being as the handle bar wiring can be a "confined space" it may very well be there, but the switches out on the ends may be a better bet, with easier access.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/electrical_and_lighting_systems/3646-wiring_diagrams.html

Last edited:
Its the starter switch, had it happen to me. Heard the starter kick on while I was at a stop light! Good news is, if you need to ride start it and pull the starter relay under the seat, put it in your pocket and your off. Only thing is you have to put it back in to start again. I used that method as I had to ride, at least until the dealer could fix the switch under warranty.

Hi Gang
Ive had numbe rof checks caried out and relays are fine, regulator fine, switch gear fine, however when I switch the kill switch to run it fires the bike up with out me even touching th estart button...any clues :(

Ride shiney side up

Pinched wire or wire rubbed through some where?

Hi Guys
Really apprecite all advice . have just taken delivery of new switches and am going to change them this weekend. will keep you posted

Back