free website stats program Kicker/tranny problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Kicker/tranny problem

dmkfit

I pulled off my cover on my 5 speed kicker because my clutch stopped working. I had a broken C clip on a washer bearing type part in there. I replace the clip. I also have a busted off tooth on the big gear in there. I put the kicker and cover back together but when I start the bike the trans makes a loud grinding, spinning noise. Then when I put the bike in gear the kicker arm spins around instead of staying stationary. Could I have put the kicker back together wrong or is there another problem. I have no clue as to what to do next.

Welcome Dmkfit to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. Could be nasty bits from the gear tooth working it's way into a place it don't belong...do you have diagram of the 5 speed of the area in question?

The busted off tooth was complete, found and taken out of tranny when I pulled the cover off. The fluid does not show any metel chips, shavings, or pieces. The gears look good besides the one with the one busted tooth. Sorry I do not have a diagram. Also when I pull the clutch lever in, the clutch side makesa louder grinding noise.

I know on a 4speed there is a certain way the gear has to be oriented before you put the cover on. Are you following manual step by step? If not that could be the problem.

"Note when I put mine on wrong the kicker starter would not move."

I had been thinking and still have a suspicion I have put the kicker lever and gear in the wrong position when I put it back together. I don't have a manual to follow so I used logic to put it back together. Here's what I did. I spun the kicker lever fully around so there is a lot of tension on it and the spring when I put it back in. This actually made it hard to hold kicker arm in place while trying to bolt the cover back on. This process allowed the kicker arm to spin up to the correct position where the pedal is straight up at the top when it was together. When I didn't spin the kicker arm around and have tension, the kicker spring had slack in it and the kicker arm was at 10 o clock position upon resting once put together. Also with the current tranny/kicker problem I can kick it fine a few times and the kicker arm will return as normal but then it will stay stuck at bottom when it is kicked through and jam and not return back to top correct position.

Back