free website stats program Kick start slipping-80 Superglide | Harley Davidson Forums

Kick start slipping-80 Superglide

paraord

Hey guys,
I have a 1980 superglide shovel. The other day I went to wake it from its winter slumber but the battery was dead. No big deal I figured so I went to kick it over. found TDC compression stroke went for a big ol kick and slip scrape my leg was at the bottom. It felt like it was half engaged or something. tried it a few more times and every couple or three kicks it would do that.
Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum Paraord. The first place I'd look it the kickstart rachet gears inside the right cover. They wear and slip past each other, or the spring fatigues or breaks and allows them to slip. Easy to fix, and not too expensive. Do it now, before you get your "kickstart badge" (permanent limp from hyper-extending your knee). Here's a link of what it looks like.
HARLEY PANHEAD 1950-E59 SHOVELHEAD 1967-84 KICK START RATCHET GEAR KIT 16 TOOTH | eBay

thanks breeze, Ill check that out tonight/tomorrow. I took the day off so alongwith that I get to battle the DMV regarding my Ironhead project.And I got that hyper extended knee once already. Man does that take the wind out of your sail.
Ill let you know what I see!

tyre, ill pull the derby cover to double check the clutch isnt slipping but Im pretty sure its not. It catches, then you really get on it and it slips through.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bets on the spring, but if it's worn the gear teeth can be rounded also. Once your in there replace it all and take a look at the oilite bearing on the kickshaft.

http://www.vtwinmfg.com/catalogs/cyr/pdf/CL4SPEED.pdf Here are some views of the kick starts on Big Twins, my bet would be on a failed gear, but check for a slipping clutch first. Put the bike in gear and rock it back and forth a bit first, this should release the clutch plates if they are sticking, if this does not work remove and inspect the kicker, look close @ the bushings and the return spring

Back