free website stats program Küryakyn load compensator burned! | Harley Davidson Forums

Küryakyn load compensator burned!

BoneMarrow

After about a couple hours of use a load compensator from Küryakyn that comes with their led turn signals burned up the shrink-wrap and stopped working.

is this a common quality problem with K.?

Is there a way to build myself a comp? ...or a work-arround?

regards..
M.

The story:
- Installed a set of LED turn signals on the rear. No compensator needed all worked fine for months
- Recently installed a set of LED turn signals in the front. As per K.'s instructions a compensator was now needed to correct electrical behaviour. Installed compensator.
- All was now functioning as expected.
- Took a 2 hour spin in the city
- After restarting for the trip back home the red key pilot was lit.
- At home I checked the installation and found the compensator had melted the shrink-wrap and an inner lead was loose: compensator shot.

I have used Kuryakin load equalizers for years and I have not had any problems.
Were there any leads left unattached or not insulated?

Which model compensator did you install. Was it the 4810? Did the Front LED turn signal unit have both a running lamp circuit and a turn signal circuit?

I have used Kuryakin load equalizers for years and I have not had any problems.
Were there any leads left unattached or not insulated?

Nope. Black to black; one purple to purple; other purple to brown... and everything worked fine fo a while (no red key pilot light, steady flashing rate...)

thx for your answer...

Which model compensator did you install. Was it the 4810? Did the Front LED turn signal unit have both a running lamp circuit and a turn signal circuit?

I installed front LED conversion mod. # 4836 (substituted the LED circuits for the lamps) and installed the comp. Model is: 4836

As I write this I am noticing that supported models list as:
02-05 FXST; 00-05 DEUCE, 02-05 FLSTF/S; 04-05 FLTRI, FLHRS, FLHTCSE; 01 FXDX/T; 02-05 DYNAs and XL

Mine is a FXD '09 (not listed above)

So... what went wrong? (besides not complying to the listed models)?

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the Front LED assembly have 3 wires? That is a running light circuit and a turn signal circuit?

4836 looks to be the LED assembly. What model compensator did you install.

Did the Front LED assembly have 3 wires? That is a running light circuit and a turn signal circuit?

4836 looks to be the LED assembly. What model compensator did you install.

I used the compensator that came with the conversion kit. At this moment I can't say which model it is... I'll try to look it up physically later..

The installation sheet doesn't mention any model or part no. for the comp.

According to the website you did install the correct model. 4836 fits all '09 Dyna's.
Yes I see that your kit includes the compensator. Really strange it should have worked.

Almost sounds like the compensator was loading the circuit all the time instead of only when the turn signal was on. That's what I thought happened to you. According to a similar compensator, (4810 sheet), compensator applies a 2 amp load which would explain why it cooked if it was "on" all of the time. But I can't see how a simple 3 wire hook up went south.

According to the website you did install the correct model. 4836 fits all '09 Dyna's.
Yes I see that your kit includes the compensator. Really strange it should have worked.

Almost sounds like the compensator was loading the circuit all the time instead of only when the turn signal was on. That's what I thought happened to you. According to a similar compensator, (4810 sheet), compensator applies a 2 amp load which would explain why it cooked if it was "on" all of the time. But I can't see how a simple 3 wire hook up went south.

yes!!! that's what i also figured... it got warm just by turning the bike on. but how could I have prevented that? I'll try to post a pic of the current wiring and see if anyone finds where I goofed up..

(BTW: how can I find the procedure to upload pics?)

I did install an HD run-turn-break attachment for the rear signals (way back when...) maybe that has something to do with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what a Run-Turn-Brake attachment is but if it "commons" any running light to a turn signal light, that would be your problem. The compensator should only be in the turn signal circuit thereby applying a load only when the turn signal was flashing. If some way the "Run-Turn-Brake" attachment common's the rear running light with a turn signal light, the compensator would be on while the running lights were energized (which is all the time). The compensator can not dissipate 25 watts of power continuously so it burns up. Not sure if this is exactly what happened in your case but since you did install the correct kit and it was only a 3 wire set up, it's one way the meltdown could be explained. Just shooting from the hip. If I could see the install wiring diagram, I could tell you more.

Back