free website stats program just got home from SD | Harley Davidson Forums

just got home from SD

06rdking

Banned
We just got home from south dakota and what a beautiful state! we rented a house in sturgis for nine days and took day trips from there. every day was a new direction / adventure. we met some great people from all over the states and happened to be there for a cushman ralley. I am intrieged with history so this trip was a real treet for me. but the biggest delema was trying to decide what to do on the last day, go thru needles highway agian or to spend a second day at the crazyhorse monument. What the heck ! we did both for a second time! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE :D !

We just got home from south dakota and what a beautiful state!

I rode up there last August to Rapid City, Sturgis and around the area. Been there a bunch of times by car .. but that was the first bike trip. Really gorgeous area to ride.

RT

A friend and I are planning the same trip. Not during the big rally but just to go see the sights and enjoy ourselves. Could you elaborate more on what and where you went, like road numbers and destinations ? It will help us when we venture out there and we would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

A friend and I are planning the same trip. Not during the big rally but just to go see the sights and enjoy ourselves. Could you elaborate more on what and where you went, like road numbers and destinations ? It will help us when we venture out there and we would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.

we found a house to rent in sturgis on a site called homeaway.com the off season is totaly affordable.(3br house for 120.00 per night, total! not per person!) then we would daytrip each morning from there. we went n on I90 todevils tower and made a loop around to alladin and back out to 14A s thru spearfish and thru spearfish canyon back out to sturgis, went 14A sw out of sturgis to 385 at deadwood then south to hill city, keystone, custer state park !whatever you do take the time to go thru needles highway! then took I90 W rapid city and on w to see the wall drugstore and made a loop thru the badlands! when we do it next I will stay somewhere around hill city. it more centeraly located to the major attractions. BUT in these runs we found alot of mom & pop shops & dinners along the way that made our trip! the local people were great!they have ride maps available everywhere! in my opinion I think it would be best at the end of june to the first of july weather wise! we went 6/4 thru 6/13 and saw alot of other bikers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not agree more. SD is a great place to ride and the best time is when the rally is NOT going on. That whole area on to Yellowstone, Chief Joseph Highway, Beartooth Pass all the way to Glacier Park. Unbeatable riding IMO. Backtrack through the Grand Tetons and through Colorado out through Estes Park and you have witnessed beautiful riding country. I get chills just thinking about it! :D

The area around Sturgis is a great place to spend a few days riding. But, I agree with a post above, it would be best done some other time than bike week. Too much traffic!

Went to the ralley in '08, just rode through and spent a day last year. Much more enjoyable without all the traffic.

I have been there twice ['98,'08] durning the rally. In '98 I trailered and in '08 I rode. It is purty there that's fer sure. I would like to go when the rally isn't happening though.

Next time check out Spearfish Canyon, its a wonderful ride:D

The area around Sturgis is a great place to spend a few days riding. But, I agree with a post above, it would be best done some other time than bike week. Too much traffic!

I went the weekend after the rally and Sturgis was pretty much empty.

Back