free website stats program Just figured out I have a problem with my ........ | Harley Davidson Forums

Just figured out I have a problem with my ........

Whiterook

I'm not sure where to put this subject so I will start here and it can be moved if needed.

I have a 2007 Heritage Classic that I got a month ago. I just figured out a pattern. When I get to (approximately) the red zone on my fuel gauge, which is maybe a gallon remaining, my bike dies when I'm standing still or coming to a stop. I thought maybe I had some bad gas and filled up with the highest octane and it runs perfect. This has happened twice. Any ideas what the problem is? What grade gas does everyone use?

Couple things, may have debris clogging the fuel tank inlet screen-sock, or you may have problem with pin holes in the corrogated fuel pipe...causing a bit of "cavitating" for your fuel injection pump. Go to the self help section for details or search tab and enter keywords to find threads on the subject.

I'm not sure where to put this subject so I will start here and it can be moved if needed.

I have a 2007 Heritage Classic that I got a month ago. I just figured out a pattern. When I get to (approximately) the red zone on my fuel gauge, which is maybe a gallon remaining, my bike dies when I'm standing still or coming to a stop. I thought maybe I had some bad gas and filled up with the highest octane and it runs perfect. This has happened twice. Any ideas what the problem is? What grade gas does everyone use?

Lots of info for the reading if you search around the forum.

Grade Of Fuel Poll - Harley Davidson Community

The gauges are not all that accurate and you may be almost empty when it gets into the red area. That's why it cuts out when stopping, the fuel is being sent forward. Fill up when it gets to that point and see how much it takes in comparison the the full amount.

Does your bike make any sucking or gurgling noises from inside the fuel tank?There is apparently a problem with earlier internal fuel lines that rubbed through and ruptured.These holes reduce fuel pressure and fuel flow,leading to fuel starvation and motors cutting out when fuel levels drop inside the tank.This sounds a bit like your issue.

Have a troll through the self help section.

You can not trust HD fuel gauges,you have to go off mileage..Fill it up.... reset your trip meter....use 40mpg as an average..run 120 miles then refuel...do this several times to get a mpg/mileage average...on my 04 Road King @ 180 miles it is time to get fuel...if I run until the light comes on I will need fuel now..If I run it hard and steady over 75/80mph...I am looking for a station @ 160 miles

Does your bike make any sucking or gurgling noises from inside the fuel tank?There is apparently a problem with earlier internal fuel lines that rubbed through and ruptured.These holes reduce fuel pressure and fuel flow,leading to fuel starvation and motors cutting out when fuel levels drop inside the tank.This sounds a bit like your issue.

Biscuit is refering to this:

Engine Dies And Runs In Spurts - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I'll have to figure that out. But when I filled up, it held 3.25 gallons. After that, it ran perfect.

Hmmm. You should have almost 2 gal. left in the tank if all it took was 3.25 gal. I would check for another reason that the bike is trying to stall when you come to a sudden stop.

TQ

Back