free website stats program Jumped on the plasti-dip bandwagon | Harley Davidson Forums

Jumped on the plasti-dip bandwagon

Dan.1977P

Sort of. I think it's rather silly to 'DipYourCar' and expect the dip to work for a long time, but in my case, I wanted to see how it looked with a white base so I sprayed some plasti-dip on the fairing and front fender. Tried some blue pearl on the center of the fairing but want to experiment with some metallic blue as a second tone. Once I like the idea, I'll peel the dip off and find a painter here who can do it right.

uc

Let us know how the stuff comes off for you. I tried a small spot on the roof of my truck, and it was nearly impossible to remove. Chemicals were required. My clear coat was badly cracked and that probably was the reason.

Well, if this is any indication, it shouldn't be bad. This happened when I removed the tape after spraying the teal. Difference here is that I only had two coats whereas the fairing had four coats of white, two coats of blue pearl and a coat of clear before I taped it off for the teal.
I bet your issue was that there wasn't enough plastidip sprayed down so that it would bond to itself and peel off as one. I've heard gasoline is the arch enemy of this stuff so worst case, I'll do that, or just hand it to my painter like this and have him media blast it anyway.
IMG_7813.JPG

Why hire a painter? It looks like you got the skills to do it yourself! Rattle can paint, rattle can clear coat and lots of wet sanding and you’d be amazed how it turns out. Waaaaaay cheaper. Brake cleaner does good at removing plasti-dip and i haven’t tried this yet but i bet oven cleaner would take it off as well. I painted a set of wheels for my station wagon and oven cleaner took all the road grime and grease off with a simple wipe of a towel

Back