free website stats program Jagg 1290 Softail low mount oil filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Jagg 1290 Softail low mount oil filter

doctordoug

Account Removed
I want to install an oil cooler on my Deluxe. Has anyone put on the new low mount horizontal oil cooler from Jagg. I like the low position compared to mounting on the left down tube. Do you think there are differences in cooling? I would think the low position would be better for the engine as it would keep the heat from flowing back to the heads.:s

Have you looked at the Harley coolers? I believe Jagg also makes them. Put one on my Heritage and it works great.

I just installed the vertical mount HD cooler on my Heritage too. Keeps temps right around 200. Might be kinda pricey, but it fits and it works. Plus, it looks like it was made for the bike, instead of an add-on that's made to fit everything.

I called Harley to see what the part number was they recommended in the instructions, they said just use black RTV. Seems to work pretty well.

I just installed the vertical mount HD cooler on my Heritage too. Keeps temps right around 200. Might be kinda pricey, but it fits and it works. Plus, it looks like it was made for the bike, instead of an add-on that's made to fit everything.

I like the position of the low mount Jagg filter. I want it to be out of the way and not contribute to more hot air blowing on the engine.

Horizontal oil coolers seem to offer smaller surface area than the vertical ones, but are less intrusive regarding the "design points". The low mount Jagg filter seems to be mounted too low for my taste, but I guess it depends on where you ride and how often you ride on gravel and rocky roads and parking lot speed bumps...JMO.

tn723s3.jpg

Harley vertical one that fits the frame "seems" to have larger cooling surface and price competitively and has chrome cover for those who like to dress it up a bit:

tn724s3.jpg

Softail Oil Cooler Kit With Chrome Oil Cooler Cover (PDF)http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J03978.pdf

Attachments

• Softail-Oil-Cooler-Kit-With-Chrome-Oil-Cooler-Cover-J03978.pdf
    257.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I want to install an oil cooler on my Deluxe. Has anyone put on the new low mount horizontal oil cooler from Jagg. I like the low position compared to mounting on the left down tube. Do you think there are differences in cooling? I would think the low position would be better for the engine as it would keep the heat from flowing back to the heads.:s

I have a 2008 fatboy that I had the HD oil cooler installed it goes between the front frame tubes it looks great i did not want the chrome cover it is hard to see without it and i like the clean look

Horizontal oil coolers seem to offer smaller surface area than the vertical ones, but are less intrusive regarding the "design points". The low mount Jagg filter seems to be mounted too low for my taste, but I guess it depends on where you ride and how often you ride on gravel and rocky roads and parking lot speed bumps...JMO.

tn723s3.jpg

Harley vertical one that fits the frame "seems" to have larger cooling surface and price competitively and has chrome cover for those who like to dress it up a bit:

tn724s3.jpg

Softail Oil Cooler Kit With Chrome Oil Cooler Cover (PDF)http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Media/downloads/Service/isheets/-J03978.pdf
Good point on positioning maybe being an issue. With my Deluxe have a huge front fender I don't think it would be a problem. Other models could have problems. Most baggers use low mount oil coolers. The Harley cooler flows all the heat right back on the engine. That's what I'm trying to avoid. I think the Harley filter is a copy of the Jagg, and Jagg used to build Harley's coolers. Will probably go low mount for looks and performance. The picture of the low mount shows the regulator moved up with the plate being provided by Jagg. Well above frame rails.:small3d026:

Back