free website stats program jackshaft problem | Harley Davidson Forums

jackshaft problem

nascar7613

Working on a 97 wide glide. It has an aftermarket starter and ring gear. The problem is that when it is all assembled, the jackshaft gear hits the ring gear. Any info would be appreciated.

Working on a 97 wide glide. It has an aftermarket starter and ring gear. The problem is that when it is all assembled, the jackshaft gear hits the ring gear. Any info would be appreciated.

You will probably need to get the gear that the after-market calls out for..... Did the instructions that came with the the parts call out IF the stock gear drive works?

I would call the after-market and ask... I would Bet there is a special size gear to go with the after-market parts..

JMO
signed....BUBBIE

The pinion gear is the one that came with the ring gear. It seems to me that the jackshaft bolt that came with the gear kit is too long. The instructions say that you have to use their supplied bolt, but I am going to try using the stock bolt. Thanks for your reply.

What after market people are we talking here and do they have tech support, the gears should mate correctly, if not damage or a no start is going to happen no matter what bolt you use I would be on the phone now:s

The reason why is when I install their bolt, it doesn't draw the jackshaft up to the splined shaft coupler. If it did, then the pinion gear would clear the ring gear. Bad idea?

Just curious, but there has to be more of a reason that they say to use their bolt IMO. Is it a shoulder bolt by any chance that is deeper than a stock bolt?

Back