free website stats program Jacking Up Softails | Harley Davidson Forums

Jacking Up Softails

glider.

BOT Machine
Many have mentioned that their shocks have come into contact with the lifts pads used for servicing the bikes which could damage the shocks.

Try using a length of hose about 10" long and slit it lengthwise from one end to the other. Slip this over the frame rail on either side of the shock and it should give you enough height to clear the shock when using a lift. If it doesn't completely clear the lift pads, it should relieve the stress on the shocks in any event.

Naturally the thicker the hose casing the better it will work. Usually a decent piece of rubber hose or even heater hose of the right inside diameter to fit around the frame rail should do the trick nicely.

This is a great idea;unfortunately it wont work on FLSTN'S.These things are just too low.

With a Deluxe,i found the best solution was to run the front wheel up onto say,some mats,or a piece of wood :just enough to raise the bike about 2 inches.Then the jack would slip in and under the frame rails.The first time i used my jack,i put it JUST in front of the shocks,tied it down with 3 ties and had no probs.Took the front end off and the bike stayed put.Thankfully.:)bigsmiley12:

So if any other lucky person has a Deluxe,try that and see how you go.

Many of the jacks will hit the frame on some model bikes. I just stand the bike upright off the stand and have never had a problem getting the jack under them. My jack (like most) has the foot pedal for pumping it up so it work easy this way when the hand brake is held so the bike stays put.

Back