free website stats program It May Not Be Your Starter... | Harley Davidson Forums

It May Not Be Your Starter...

90FXRS

Contributor
A few days ago I finished fixing a "starter" problem for a friend.......I'm cheaper than a dealership. He said the starter was acting funny, seemed to free-wheel a few times trying to start it. I actually got it to do what he said. I moved the bike back a few inches, in gear, and it fired up. No apparent problem. When I shut it off I heard a "clunk".

I'll make this short and sweet. Pull the primary and check the compensating sprocket nut. I could turn it by hand and the sprocket and shaft extension had about 1/4" of free-play. My guess is that the sprocket slid down the extension to the point that the entire primary was in a bind.

He also says it shifts quieter now. Just a little tidbit of info to share.

A few days ago I finished fixing a "starter" problem for a friend.......I'm cheaper than a dealership. He said the starter was acting funny, seemed to free-wheel a few times trying to start it. I actually got it to do what he said. I moved the bike back a few inches, in gear, and it fired up. No apparent problem. When I shut it off I heard a "clunk".

I'll make this short and sweet. Pull the primary and check the compensating sprocket nut. I could turn it by hand and the sprocket and shaft extension had about 1/4" of free-play. My guess is that the sprocket slid down the extension to the point that the entire primary was in a bind.

He also says it shifts quieter now. Just a little tidbit of info to share.

Very good trouble shooting:s

Good call, easy to be "led down the merry path..." by troubleshooting symptoms rather than using them as pieces of problems solving "equation"...the sum of all the symtoms LEADS you to the root cause! Well done :D

Back