free website stats program Issue with rear wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Issue with rear wheel

Rej Johnson

I have a 2005 Heritage Softail Classic (FLSTCI) and I recently swapped the spoke rims for a set of rims off of a 1999 or 2000 Road King... after a week of riding, I started hearing a clanking type sound from the rear wheel and as it was happening, you could lightly feel it. I had someone help me dig into it and it seemed like it just hadn't been torqued enough. We torqued it at 65 ft lbs, and still felt and heard the noise. We torqued it at about 85 ft lbs and, at first, seemed fine, nut is slowly getting worse. It was trued up and we checked the belt, everything seems to be fine, but not sure what is going on. A y ideas or suggestions?

I have a 2005 Heritage Softail Classic (FLSTCI) and I recently swapped the spoke rims for a set of rims off of a 1999 or 2000 Road King... after a week of riding, I started hearing a clanking type sound from the rear wheel and as it was happening, you could lightly feel it. I had someone help me dig into it and it seemed like it just hadn't been torqued enough. We torqued it at 65 ft lbs, and still felt and heard the noise. We torqued it at about 85 ft lbs and, at first, seemed fine, nut is slowly getting worse. It was trued up and we checked the belt, everything seems to be fine, but not sure what is going on. A y ideas or suggestions?

You might want to remove the wheel and check the bearings to make sure they are the correct size for the axel, 1" vs: 25mm. Also, roll the axel on a piece of true flat surface to see if it's bent. Make sure you have the proper spacers, and double-check to make sure the rear brake pads are installed properly and they are "sandwiching" the brake rotor.

Agree with Bill. There was an axle size change, I don't remember what year it was for Softails. 1" vs 25mm is only .02", not easily noticed. The smaller 25mm bearing would spin on the axle. Maybe that is what you are hearing.

The MoCo did not go to 25mm wheel bearings until 2008. IIRC, the OP's '05 FLSTC has 3/4" rear axle, same size as the '99-'00 Road King. FLH models went to 1" rear axle in '02. I don't think the axle is generating the noise but have a suggestion.

Just a guess but something to check. The rear wheel inner spacer could be moving around in the inner hub if it is too short and not clamped tight between the wheel bearings. There could be a difference in length between the softail and touring rear wheel spacers or depending on how the bearings were installed, the inner spacer might not be clamped tight between the wheel bearings. The service manual includes a procedure for installing wheel bearings and, if not followed, could leave some space for the inner spacer to move around.

If the noise is cyclical, as in something making contact with every rotation of the rear wheel the OP should look for something making contact with each wheel rotation. The wheel spacing in the swingarm could allow something to contact the swing arm or the belt guard. I have experienced this myself after converting 16" rear wheel to 18" rear wheels on my '02 FLHT. I was hearing a cyclical noise from the rear wheel and found one of the rear pulley bolts had loosened up and backed out just enough for the bolt head to make light contact with the swing arm.:eek:

The MoCo did not go to 25mm wheel bearings until 2008. IIRC, the OP's '05 FLSTC has 3/4" rear axle, same size as the '99-'00 Road King. FLH models went to 1" rear axle in '02. I don't think the axle is generating the noise but have a suggestion.

Just a guess but something to check. The rear wheel inner spacer could be moving around in the inner hub if it is too short and not clamped tight between the wheel bearings. There could be a difference in length between the softail and touring rear wheel spacers or depending on how the bearings were installed, the inner spacer might not be clamped tight between the wheel bearings. The service manual includes a procedure for installing wheel bearings and, if not followed, could leave some space for the inner spacer to move around.

If the noise is cyclical, as in something making contact with every rotation of the rear wheel the OP should look for something making contact with each wheel rotation. The wheel spacing in the swingarm could allow something to contact the swing arm or the belt guard. I have experienced this myself after converting 16" rear wheel to 18" rear wheels on my '02 FLHT. I was hearing a cyclical noise from the rear wheel and found one of the rear pulley bolts had loosened up and backed out just enough for the bolt head to make light contact with the swing arm.:eek:
Greatly appreciated!!!! Your reply has pointed me in what seems to be the correct direction to start narrowing down the issue. Thank you

Going to add personal experience with a friend's bike.
He had a new tire installed while here in Spokane last summer. Also had the bearings replaced from the same shop.
He got it all back together and went for a ride and came right back with a noise and also a dragging feel.
Turned out the shop pressed the bearing in too far and the rim was now off set allowing the rotor to rub the caliper bracket.
After removing the wheel and looking into the axle housing we could see the old bearing marks confirming 1/8 inch to deep.

Back