free website stats program Is using the starter relay bypass direct button bad for my bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is using the starter relay bypass direct button bad for my bike?

For some reason the starter button on my handlebars just stopped working one day. Is it bad for my bike if I just use the starter relay bypass direct button on the starter motor? Also, what happened to the starter button on my handlebars? It was working fine before...

For some reason the starter button on my handlebars just stopped working one day. Is it bad for my bike if I just use the starter relay bypass direct button on the starter motor? Also, what happened to the starter button on my handlebars? It was working fine before...

corrosion , pinched wire , have you taken it apart lately?

got one of those direct buttons for emergencies should be ok to use all time some custom bikes that's all they have & i use mine to pump oil around after oil change get pressure up.

Desertbiker, welcome to the HDTimeline forum, while others will weigh in shortly take a bit of time to check out the Self Help tab for starting & troubleshooting, and the Search tab, just type in keywords on your subject and you will find related threads.

That said, RL has you covered, as to why, you list your location as San Diego, where coastal salt fog air can easily work it's way into electronics parts on a bike, and if you had some work done, it could be the previous servicer did not put dielectric grease in all the connectors exposed to air. So as you dissemble things inspect the connections, burnish them and coat the contacts to inhibit corrosion intrusion.

Not bad for the bike at all to use that button setup on the solenoid but the cause of the starter button should be located. It could be corrosion in the button itself, bad wiring or even a bad starter relay causing the problem.

Back