free website stats program Is this tire OK for a Ultra? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is this tire OK for a Ultra?

Ozoneman

I found these tires on email and was wondering if they would work on an Ultra.

Front Tire Dunlop 491Elite MT90B16 71H

Rear Tire Dunlop 491Elite MT90B16 74H

The reason I ask is because I think these are radial tires and the Dunlop 402s which Harley recommends are 3 ply (I think?).

I found these tires on email and was wondering if they would work on an Ultra.

Front Tire Dunlop 491Elite MT90B16 71H

Rear Tire Dunlop 491Elite MT90B16 74H

The reason I ask is because I think these are radial tires and the Dunlop 402s which Harley recommends are 3 ply (I think?).

One thing besides size & fit should be addressed when buying tires on the Internet...the DATE CODE...all tires have a slew of numbers on them, but just because it is the right size and will fit your application does not mean it is right for you. Rubber deteriorates with age, use (wear) and where it was stored. It is a blend of organic rubber and petroleum/plastic products, so make sure you ask them what the DOT# and MFG codes on the tires read. Sight unseen buying of perishable items by price alone is not necessarily a good deal! :newsmile055:

What brand and model tire do you guys use on your touring HDs?

I compared the Elite 3 to the D402 and the specs are very similar. The Elite 3 has 1/32 more thread depth. And the thead design looks different, so I don't know if that is good or bad. But it is a touring tire and it says, "The high-mileage E3 bias and bias-belted tires suit a wide range of large-displacement touring motorcycles as well as a majority of the most popular cruiser bikes available."

I use the Dunlop D402 on both my Fatboy and RoadGlide.
I have in the past tried other brands but went back to Dunlop.
All around they have work out the best for me.
And with Hd dealer pricing I can not get a better price anywere.

Smitty is right on...if you are comparing "List" prices, the HD dealer tires are competitive with what is offered for the same OEM type and model available to local retailers. And many will mount and balance free (if you are mechanically adept to have the wheels off the bike) if you buy there.

Such a deal, especially if tire changes are on the fly, no scarred knuckles or blemished wheels...! Puts new meaning to having a centerstand if your on the road a long way from home (for you lucky baggers out there only), if not, I hope you carry a Stop & Go temporary plug kit to keep the rubber side rolling...:p

I got a reply from Dunlop about those tires on a HD, the reply was maybe depend on year and model . So they are sending me so more info in the real mail I willpost it as soon as I get it

My only question to Dunlop is:

Why after all the advances in tire technology today, do we still use bias ply tires on our bikes instead of radial tires?

Each has it own advantgaes and disavantgaes depending on when and how it is used.
Two wheels are a lot different than 4.
Hd has one bike that has Radial rear and Bias front or the other way Around anyway they mix the two figure that one out.

Yeah, I got that Smitty...only in 1988 I think. Radials had every advantage except one, heavy load range due to softer side walls. :coffee

Suddenly everyone is using them nowdays, even heavyweight sport tourers got 'em. Thing is they only come in low 50-80 Series profiles and sizes for sidewall stiffness. So if you want radials you have to change your stock wheels, then whats the point. I suppose we have to wait another 20 years. :small3d036:

Last edited:
Thanks Smitty, I have used the D205's on my KAT...(it was originally equipped with bias ply and hard to fit 17" OEM rims, they work much better than bias ply OEM tires).

And of course you lucky bagger guys always get the good stuff first...I am just mad that trickle down took 20 years to get to you guys and may never see it in my life time on the more "pedestrian Sportster" as standard equipment...hey they got fuel injection...maybe technology infusion is speeding up? :D

Last edited:
Back