free website stats program Is there harm being done? | Harley Davidson Forums

Is there harm being done?

VanIsland

My recently purchased dyna with stage 1 is running a little rough (and back firing etc)... I have an appointment on the 21st of April for a dyno check and tune-up.

My question is: am I doing any harm to the engine riding it like this?

ps -I tried to search this topic and I apologize if it has been addressed before.

Check to see if you have any historical codes. Miss-fire, poor combustion or running excessively rich will wash unburned fuel pass the rings and into the oil. To me I would call that harmful.

What air cleaner, pipes, and fuel management are you using? Is the stage 1 you are referring to the dealer download? Sounds like you are lean. If the high flow a/c and high flow exhaust pipes don't match or get enough fuel needed, you will get what you are describing. Without an air/fuel ratio reading it hard to tell. Most plugs with unleaded fuel don't show much a good fuel ring on the insulator. Better to get it to the tuner.

Thorns

An attempt to upload this - a little hard to read.

Attachments

• SparkPlugReads.jpg
    SparkPlugReads.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree it is interesting info. I may be wrong, but I think it would only apply to none closed loop O2 ECM systems. Just can't see ever getting colors and rings like that with A/F ratios and 10% alky gas of today using O2 feedback systems. But I still agree that it is very interesting.

My recently purchased dyna with stage 1 is running a little rough (and back firing etc)... I have an appointment on the 21st of April for a dyno check and tune-up.

My question is: am I doing any harm to the engine riding it like this?

ps -I tried to search this topic and I apologize if it has been addressed before.

First thing, get a HD Factory Service Manual covering your model and year.

I would start by looking for an intake leak and an exhaust leak. See here:

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

Muffler Leaks - Harley Davidson Community

See what that finds.

TQ

TQuentin1, I was riding along today, and was thinking about this thread, and it hit me.....intake leak. You have posted good info.

Thorns

Back