free website stats program "Is Stock Bad" | Harley Davidson Forums

"Is Stock Bad"

I keep reading on the web that riding my bike stock is bad for the engine and that I need to change my pipes, air intake and remap it. Is this true? Do the new bikes run too lean and too hot? Can I just change the pipes and air intake or do I have to do all three? I have a 07 FXSTC.

I suggest you try a search or use the link in the bottom of this post. You'll find that this same question has been asked no less than 100 times.:s

There's plenty of info on this and other topics to keep you reading until next Easter.

The new bikes definitely run lean and added fuel will help.

I would also add that since the Motor Company stands behind your purchase with a warranty that you need not worry about the stock configuration being bad for the life of the motor. In spite of what you might read on the forum the Motor Company knows what they are doing. And I will also add that the forum members also know what they are saying but riding a stock motor setup is not doom and gloom.

Riding it stock is not a bad thing.

i'll agree......just as long as you leave everything stock.....don't go buy slip on mufflers if your not ready to remap the fuel inj.

One more question..........Can I replace my stock air filter with K&N HD-1499, (It's a drop in filter) without changing anything else and my bike will run fine?

Once you start making changes it will snowball on you. so just be 100% stock tell your ready to do a stage 1 or orther mod. its 4/09 now and your bike is an 07 proof stock works fine. just don't add a temp gauge and you'll be fine.

Stock is fine,until you do a long run at 90 degree temp. then you will want to change it for your own comfort!

Maybe this is a good question on this: :D

If you wanted something else, why did you buy this?

Al

Needed a solid platform to build on!:newsmile036:

I remember years ago watching International chassis piggybacked on Rt.1 on there way to Metro body in Bridgeport to get dressed with the finished van body.

That concept might be the way to buy a "bare bones" version of a Harley, then the buyer can build up from that point.

Al

Back