free website stats program Ironhead Diode.. | Harley Davidson Forums

Ironhead Diode..

IronKiwi

Kia Ora folks, this is my first post and undoubtedly not my last so I'll just get straight to the point.

Bought a 1980 XLS Sporty that was all together except for the wiring and so I got the manual and re-wired the beast and its all good but there is one thing i can't work out.

In the orange wire that feeds the generator and oil pressure lights up in the headlamp it shows (in the manual) a diode......I do not have one and my Harley dealer reckons 4-12 weeks to get one.

Is there an off the shelf diode i can get from a Radio Shack type place?Anybody got any specs or advice please? Do I even need it?

Old Harley parts can be a mission to get hold of down here in New Zealand.

Great site BTW :)

A diode is a current limiting device that allows the current to flow in one direction only. If you have the values for the diode, you can purchase one elsewhere.

If you could locate an elictrical schematic, the electrical value of componants are often shown there.....
Just a thought.

Thanks the prompt replies, I took the workshop manual down to my local auto electical dude and he worked it out for me. Cost me $5 for the diode and beer for his time :s

Back