free website stats program Ironhead brakes | Harley Davidson Forums

Ironhead brakes

IronKiwi

My 1980 Sporty has a twin disc front end and I have had the calipers apart, got them all freed up and fitted new Ferodo pads but they are still a bit dissapointing. The lever has the usual Harley "plank of wood" feel to it.

Anybody got any tips on getting some feel and some stopping power outta these discs?

You could try Lyndall Racing Brakes in the U.S for some replacement pads.These are meant to offer less dust,loving kindness to your discs and more feel and power.

Just type in 'Lyndall' into your search engine.Try it and see,Bro!

Thanks Biscuit, I will try them and see.....they are better for having had the anti-squeal shims removed and a spray on coating applied instead but the Lyndall's seem like a good thing.

Thanks Biscuit, I will try them and see.....they are better for having had the anti-squeal shims removed and a spray on coating applied instead but the Lyndall's seem like a good thing.

Make sure the discs and pads are given a random swirl satin finish using wet/dry sandpaper block, rinsing all non rubber parts afterwards with non-chlorinated Brakleen over rags and properly lubing pins, etc as prescribed in your manual. Will improve the "bedding" of the new pads, braking and feel.

Also, an old racer's trick, if your pads are not grooved 90 degrees to the swept surface, use a hacksaw blade and groove them evenly in the middle to 1/32 of the backing. This improves braking in the wet and allows debris picked up to fall away, not scar your rotors and provides an easily seen wear indicator. I like brakes that stop with two finger squeeze without a lot of drama! :57:

In order to get any feel out of the brakes, you'll need to replace the master cylinder. Harley was not exactly state of the art with their braking component of that era.

You have braided lines, that's a start. The master cylinder is the next step.

The calipers are single piston (I believe). That's the last step if you don't like the action after changing the master cylinder.... New calipers...

Back