free website stats program IPOD question | Harley Davidson Forums

IPOD question

Breeze3at

Experienced Member
I am not a music fan, but since I got my '07 Electra Glide, I like tunes on a trip. I get tired of scanning for radio stations and changing cd's is dangerous when underway. My wife got a new Itouch and gave me her Ipod nano. My questions are. The songs all seem to be recorded at different sound levels. Even with the Ipod volume bar at max, some I can't get loud enough to hear on the highway with my H.K. vol @ 100%. (I only have to have my vol. @ 50% for radio/cd listening @ 75mph). Do I have to delete and rerecord all these songs to get more vol.? When downloading to Ipod, should the vol. level be cranked to max.? This vol. inconsistancy is on the Ipod, it happens when it is played through the Ipod base or mini speaker. It is NOT my cable, jack, speakers etd., it's the Ipod. Thanks for insights.

I am not an expert on ipods at all...BUT, I do have one. I have also noticed what you describe, and as far as I know it is the quality of the download that sems to effect the volumes. Be sure to preview what you download prior to buying. Do you get your tunes from itunes? It seems converted music is more apt to be a problem IMO. I also notice some music is very distorted in comparrison to others at high volume. I will be watching to see "expert" responses. It is a pain no doubt.

My wife downloaded all from Itunes. I remember her being frustrated many times during the process.

If you download from the "FREE" sites the quality (EDIT). But if you download from a pay site you get a better product. Also you can download CD's if your computer is capable, you get a good sound from those.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to dissagree with the download being the problem..I say this because I have over 300 cd's and there volume fluctuates when Ripped to my library.I believe it has more to do with the origional format they where recorded in.I Rip and burn a new cd "Disturbbed" and it cranks..Rip and burn a cd Ive had for 12 years "Led Zeppelin" and it plays quiet.

Breeze, have you tried burning a cd in data format?You can put 150 songs on 1 cd using this burn option.

WYW; My wife made me a CD with about 1 1/2 hr. of songs. It was my fault I didn't select more for her to burn on it. I have so little interest in music, that I can't make myself sit and select songs from albums. I guess I shouldn't be complaining if I'm not willing to learn how to do it. I am amazed that millions of people have IPODS and have to constantly adjust the vol. on songs. But I am also amazed at how much my wife has spent on Steve Jobs products! Thanks

Using iTunes right click on a song that is quite and select "Get Info"->"Options" and adjust the volume (gain). This metadata will be saved and during the next sync will be reflected on the iPod. This may be a good solution with only a few particularly quite songs, but short of that your looking at using something like MediaMonkey or MP3Gain/AAGain (still beta) to normalize your entire library.

**Standard Disclaimer** Your mileage may vary and if you break something you own the parts...

I don't claim to be an Ipod expert, but I do own a 60gig Ipod and an Iphone as well. If you are downloading all the music from Itunes, check to see if the songs are all converted to AAC format. Also, make sure they are at least 128kbps bit rate. You can check this in Itunes by "Right Clicking" on each song in the music list and Choosing the "Get Info" tab.

If the songs are in AAC format, Itunes has already tried to adjust the volume to the correct level for each song. However, you can also select the "Options" tab on the song and there is a Volume Control slider at the top there as well that can be adjusted up or down to manually adjust and save the volume for each song. If you have several songs that are lower in volume, you can "Shift Click" on several songs at a time and indicate that you would like to adjust several choices at once. Once selected, the "Option" tab is again available and the master volume control slider is available for adjustment that will adjust all the songs AT ONCE that were selected.

I always convert all songs that I rip from CDs or any other source to AAC format as well because they take up less room on the Ipod and are adjusted automatically as well. I usually adjust the main volume on my Ipod to about 90% and then control to overall volume of the songs on my bike radio. However, they will still vary some (smaller levels) from song to song as recording quality will still vary from song to song. Hope this helps.

Cisco/Roadglider; Thanks for the information. I went to try it, and Ipod is dead, don't know where wife put the cord, so I have to wait. Thanks again.

Roadglider; You ARE the MAN!!

I don't claim to be an Ipod expert, but I do own a 60gig Ipod and an Iphone as well. If you are downloading all the music from Itunes, check to see if the songs are all converted to AAC format. Also, make sure they are at least 128kbps bit rate. You can check this in Itunes by "Right Clicking" on each song in the music list and Choosing the "Get Info" tab.

If the songs are in AAC format, Itunes has already tried to adjust the volume to the correct level for each song. However, you can also select the "Options" tab on the song and there is a Volume Control slider at the top there as well that can be adjusted up or down to manually adjust and save the volume for each song. If you have several songs that are lower in volume, you can "Shift Click" on several songs at a time and indicate that you would like to adjust several choices at once. Once selected, the "Option" tab is again available and the master volume control slider is available for adjustment that will adjust all the songs AT ONCE that were selected.

I followed your clear and accurate instructions, and adjusted the volume on all of my songs (they were all at 50%). I can tell a LOT of difference in the ear phones, I haven't tried on the bike at speed yet. All of my songs are in AAC format, and most are at 128kbps. A few are at 256kbps, is there an ez way to change, or should I just let go? The vol.on them improved also.
And,,,, I did not find the apple library to be any problem. I think it's my wife that has the problem with itunes. Thank you again for the help.
Breeze

Back