free website stats program Intermittent starting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Intermittent starting problem

Dr Loguey

Hi,
Have extremely cool 2005 Roadking. Has just developed an intermittent starting problem - maybe one time in four when I press start switch it does absolutely nothing - no click, no turn, nothing... discovered that if I jiggle the connection where the red & black cables attach to the top of the starter it will start ok (whilst jiggling).

Thought it was a loose connection but checked with spanner and its tight. Its getting a bit annoying and was wondering if this is a common problem and if its likely to be problem with the starter itself or something I can do to rectify it.

Any ideas would be most welcome...

Thanks,
Dr Loguey

Try removing and cleaning the battery terminal connections, neg off first and on last to prevent any welded wrenches on the battery to frame.
If it starts when you move the wires, chances are there is a problem in that connection. I would remove it and check the connection as well as the terminals on the wires. Wire brush then and reinstall them. Corrosion can cause all sorts of problems even when you can't see it.

Glider,
spoke to you about a month ago about small oil leak when I ride my Ultra long distance and at highway speeds. You gave me things to looks for but none of them was the problem. last week it started to pour oil while i was ridin(I looked like a mosquito fogger going down the highway) turns out I have a crack in my engine casing. Long question short, how do I search the HD community to see if anyone has the part I need?
Thanks
Sonny

Hi,
Have extremely cool 2005 Roadking. Has just developed an intermittent starting problem - maybe one time in four when I press start switch it does absolutely nothing - no click, no turn, nothing... discovered that if I jiggle the connection where the red & black cables attach to the top of the starter it will start ok (whilst jiggling).

Thought it was a loose connection but checked with spanner and its tight. Its getting a bit annoying and was wondering if this is a common problem and if its likely to be problem with the starter itself or something I can do to rectify it.

Any ideas would be most welcome...

Thanks,
Dr Loguey

Remove those red and black wires at the starter and clean them and the bolts thoroughly. A tight connection is not always a good electical connection. While your at it clean, that green wire going to the relay anf the connection

Hi guys, thanks for your advice so far. Unfortunately haven't had a chance to try any of your suggestions yet as Mrs Dr Loguey has hit me with a HUGE list of DIY jobs!! Some of these are apparently 2 years overdue and, by the way, did you know that it just isn't acceptable to have a champagne-coloured(??!!?!) toilet in the downstairs cloakroom?....

Anyway, now that that's off my chest I was just wondering, before I disconnect the battery terminals, etc will this effect my factory-fitted alarm/imobiliser? It's not the proximity type but it does automatically arm itself after about 10 seconds when the ignition is turned off. I've had a problem with it before when I didn't know my code and my alarm fob malfunctioned and it really wasn't fun... Any advice on this would be most welcome before I start disconnecting, thanks..
:)

Turn on the ignition and pull the maxi fuse by the fuse panel or the alarm will sound. Negative off first and on last.

Back