free website stats program Intermittent Screech, Clicking in Primary | Harley Davidson Forums

Intermittent Screech, Clicking in Primary

gleason1

My 08 cross bones has 16k miles and is stock. Picked up an intermittent screech, with a click/clank coming from clutch/primary. (sounds like a bolt rattling around in there with the screech happening of and on.)
Does NOT make this noise when stopped and idling. I hear a faint click/rattle when first taking off, then as I cruise it starts to screech/squeel off and on. Does NOT change tone with RPM, it occurrs at a constant frequency when clutch is out or in.

Took primary cover off, tightened the auto tensioner because I noticed a couple small chain scuffs on the primary cover and on inner primary at bottom of compensator. Put it back topgether and ran. Noises still there.

Took off clutch and I suspect either a bad clutch bearing or a bad inner primary bearing. Cant tell which is bad .....clutch does have a bit of play when I rock it on the output shaft with clutches out of it. Spins very freely, but the inner clutch housing takes force to spin on the output shaft.
Any Ideas on how to check each bearing for integrity ? I had been using ATF in my primary and I suspect that these two bearings have suffered because of it. Which would be most likely to fail first ? Thanks !

First, you are sure the compensator was tight, and there is no indication on the inside of the outer primary cover that there was any contact with the compensator or the nut?

Both bearings are pretty stout. If you have it open now, I would pull the inner primary and get that bearing out for inspection. When you take the inner off, if the race on the shaft is damaged or looks burnt, you probably have your answer even before you take the bearing out of the inner primary. Check it and see if the rollers look burnt. You may even be able to "feel" it if bad enough.

If that bearing is good (I would replace it anyway), feel the bearing in the clutch hub to see if you can tell something is not bueno. Then pop the snap ring and press it out of the clutch hub for inspection. Check it for the obvious (again, I would replace it anyway since it is out). Reinspect the inside of the Primary cover to see if there are any signs of rubbing. Put the primary all back together and add fluid (use Formula +, Spectro Primary, or Redline primary as your lubricant/coolant). See how that does.

TQ

Thanks TQ..........
Compensator nut was tight. I noticed that I can take a pick and wiggle a couple rollers on the inner bearing .........(have not pulled the inner cover off yet ) Should they be able to do this or should they all be tight on the race ?
Can I remove the starter gear (don't know how to get it off from inside the cover ) before taking off the starter ? That phenolic bearing cage on the clutch hub bearing is very loose and seems to be floating on the balls........is this normal ?

To remove the inner, you have to remove the jack shaft and the starter. That will let you look at that better.

The rollers should turn on the race. If they bind, I would say you have a problem there. Worth pursuing.

TQ

I had similar noise on my 2001 RK. Locking bolts on the front drive sprocket had backed out and at times would rub on the backside of the inner primary. Nasty noise!

Just found the problem........put bike on lift and noticed that the belt was very loose. Also missaligned which is puzzling because I check alignment periodically. I tightened and aligned the belt , then spun the rear tire......heard the clunking sound (without the screech when actually riding the bike.) and it is coming from the left rear wheel bearing !
I wedge my pinky between the axle spacer and wheel and when I spin the tire, I can actually feel my pinky getting softly squeezed as I hear the clunk noise. This doesn't happen on the other side of the axle, so there you have it. Will be taking off the rear wheel tomorrow. Thanks for your replies. Robert

Back