free website stats program intermitent no start 1998 King | Harley Davidson Forums

intermitent no start 1998 King

Fldude

I am having a problem with crank but won't start. Have changed the Fuel pump relay, Voltage and charging system are OK. You can hear the pump charge most of the time and it fires right up, every once in a while it does not charge (whine) and it will crank but not start.

Turning the ignition on and of seems to have no effect but after a bit 2-3 min. the pump charges and the Evo fires up. Any ideas, have had two different dealers look it over,
I travel on this bike and it has been a great ride 69,000 miles. I was thinking about changing the fuel pump just because?

I am betting that your fuel pump is iffy.
Sounds like the pump runs sometimes, but not all the time.
I have a 1998 Road King, and the local dealer said a new fuel pump would be on back order, with no indicated date of delivery. That was about a year ago.
They are not interchangeable with later model pumps.

Rod

With out knowing the fuel rail pressure it would be hard to determine the pump being bad or not. Once the pressure decreases in the rail, it activates the pump. If the pressure stays up the pump wouldn't come on.

I was thinking about changing the fuel pump just because?

It could be the pump itself, but I would need more than a hunch to spend the money and time on replacing the pump.

To confirm your gut feeling about the pump you may want to try this. The coil has a terminal on it called "B". It is the power wire for the coil. That power lead also feeds the fuel pump. Get yourself a small 12v indicator lamp (something like Ebay 290719159335) and connect it between coil terminal B and ground. The next time the bike does not prime or start, look at the lamp while cranking and see if it is on. Just knowing that, will eliminated several other possibilities (pump relay driver circuit, crank sensor, pump relay, output side wiring of relay, power feed for ignition & pump etc) it could be. If the lamp is not glowing while cranking, that tells you that your pump is probably good and look elsewhere for the problem.

If the lamp glows while cranking, it doesn't confirm proof positive that the pump is bad, but at least it supports your original theory that it could be bad..
If all is good with the power feeding the fuel pump, the test lamp will glow for 4 seconds and then go out when you flip the RUN/Kill switch to RUN. Then while cranking the lamp should be ON solid.
I would not use a LED test lamp. Use an old fashion incandescent lamp.

Back