free website stats program Interesting Rumour From the HD Advisory Panel | Harley Davidson Forums

Interesting Rumour From the HD Advisory Panel

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I get a monthly email survey from the MOCO as a member of their HD Advisory Panel. I'm sure many other members here do also so they can back me up on this.

This month, there was a long explanation about how the tragic earthquake/tsunami in Japan is going to affect the supply of radios for the 2012 touring models.

Here's the 2 options they asked about on the survey to offset the "inconvenience" of buying a 2012 HD Touring bike without the standard radio:

1. Customer takes delivery of a 2012 touring bike with a substitute radio. Customer receives an additional one year added to the bike's warranty. In approximately 6 months, customer can come in and get radio swapped out to the standard HD model.

2. Customer takes delivery of a 2012 touring bike with a substitute radio and the MOCO will include a Zumo GPS valued at $900 for no additional charge. Customer still gets a new radio in approximately 6 months.

It also sounded like you would get BOTH options - not an either/or situation.

I'm sure much more about this will be forthcoming but it sure makes for some interesting decision making if you were in the market for a new touring bike soon.

Seems like some fair options to me. I would imagine radios are not the first thing the poor folks in Japan are worried about.

Seems like some fair options to me.

Seems a bit more than fair to me so I'll believe it when I see it. An extra year's warranty and a $900 GPS just because you have to ride with an alternative radio for 6 months! When I first started reading about it I expected them to say they'd be delivering the bike's with NO radios!

I think thats a great offer from MOCO. But what about a different supplier??

Hmmmmm......... making that new Road Glide Ultra purchase seem even more worth while:D I Don't listen to music while riding now so either option might be a plus for me and would probably prefer to use the IPOD option if and when I do. Will be interesting to see how this pans out with the MOCO.

From the way you present it, it sounds a lot more like either/or on the Zumo/warranty deal. Otherwise, it wouldn't be two options; it would only be the one.

If that's the case, I'd take the added warranty. The Zumo may cost $900 at the Harley shop, but I'd bet it can be had for a lot less elsewhere. The warranty could be worth a lot more. (Or nothing, if you're lucky. It's a bit of a gamble.)

I just received the same survey, I'm not as sure it incluede an alternate radio. Mine the 2012 touring bikes would be delivered with a radio without the LCD face. I wasn't sure if that meant it would be an alternate radio, or a non-functioning one.

As for the options, the survey I received had the first option of a $500.00 parts/accessories credit, and that when there were sufficient LCD screens available one would be installed.

The second option was the first option, plus a Zumo and XM radio player ($900.00 value).

I would hope that perhaps the MOCO could find a supplier in the USA for those faceplates instead of importing them from overseas.

My survey just said the place where the radio should go would be "storage" and when the radio was available it could be installed and it included a 1year extra warranty.

I received the same survey it sounded like you had a choice but that will remain to be seen. :bigsmiley21:

This is actually kind of fascinating. It sounds like they sent out different surveys to try and get a feel how current Harley riders would view the different options. Probably trying to see what the LEAST expensive option they could get away with is going to be!

Back