free website stats program intake manifold help with the bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

intake manifold help with the bolts

BillMull

Banned
Hey, I have 1996 Sportster Custom 1200 and I did the carb and choke cleaner spray around the intake while it was running. The bike changed drastically when I did it. So, it tells me I have a gasket leak. Guys, I removed the Carb and im having issues of getting a tool to get in there to get the two bolts that hold the one side to the rear cylinder and the other two bolts to the front cylinder. What kind of tool does it take to get them off. My bolt head is the star looking kind the size is about a 5/16 it looks I could be wrong. Also, is it a rubber gasket that will have to be replaced or is it only the cardboard looking seal thing or both of them. Please help, anyone!!!!! Thanks to all of you that are members of this wonderful web-site!!!:bigsmiley11:

my bolts require a socket but its got the multi point head to it...it looks like a metric bolt that requires a socket of some sort. The problem is the angle it has and i cant get a socket over it and then use the ratchet part because it wont fit to turn. Im lost with trying to explain without confusing anyone. Im trying to find a tool that will let me in there that will fit over the head of the bolt and allow me to turn it.

BINGO!!!!! Wow, thanks a freaking million.....How would a fella do it, I see all kinds of people on here posting they got theirs off and I wouldnt think all of them have one of these and I hate to pay that much for that tool and I do also understand also If thats what it takes to make my Harley run then its worth it....:bigsmiley11:

BINGO!!!!! Wow, thanks a freaking million.....How would a fella do it, I see all kinds of people on here posting they got theirs off and I wouldnt think all of them have one of these and I hate to pay that much for that tool and I do also understand also If thats what it takes to make my Harley run then its worth it....:bigsmiley11:

Bill,

If your manifold is like the picture, you might want to try a wobble extension on a ratchet.. a lot cheaper than the one shown and can be used for other applications as well. Good luck!

A regular SAE 12 point box end (5/16"?) will fit. It's a torx head. The gasket is a rubber type.

Last edited:
wow, those responses has helped me tremendously and I cant ever thank you enough guys for sending me the responses.......Now, just getting it off is the question!!! Thanks again and be safe on the two wheels of the best bike in the world, HD!!!:bigsmiley11:

Back