free website stats program Installing the Fueler | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing the Fueler

Caper

Hey, might seem like a dumb question, but ,when I'm going to prop up the gas tank to run the wires to the injectors, is all I have to do is disconnect the fuel line from the tank and clip the wire ties from the harness??...well, and loosen the tank mounting bolts:D
TIA:)

Make sure you pull the fuel pump fuse and run the bike to get the pressure out of the line before you disconnect,and a 2x4 under the rear of the tank works well.

Hey, might seem like a dumb question, but ,when I'm going to prop up the gas tank to run the wires to the injectors, is all I have to do is disconnect the fuel line from the tank and clip the wire ties from the harness??...well, and loosen the tank mounting bolts:D
TIA:)

On my '03 UC, there is only one line out of the tank in the back, and a crossover in the front. I do not disconnect the tank, merely cut the tie wraps holding the cable bundles and hoses, and take out the bolts holding the tank to the frame. I then CAREFULLY (read slowly) raise the back of the tank and prop it with something about a couple of inches thick.

TQ

You can lift the tank a bit without removing the line but if you force it upwards, the plastic fitting where it attaches to the fuel rail breaks and that's a $45 mistake.

Running the wires along in the wire holder under the tank is simple, it just pops open and you lay the wires in it and snap it closed again.

You can lift the tank a bit without removing the line but if you force it upwards, the plastic fitting where it attaches to the fuel rail breaks and that's a $45 mistake.

Running the wires along in the wire holder under the tank is simple, it just pops open and you lay the wires in it and snap it closed again.

Thanks fellas, depressurize the fuel pump, I won't forget that.
Glider I remember you saying before about that $45 plastic piece... I figured if I disconnect the fuel line it would eliminate the possibility of me breaking it, and I would be able to lift the tank a little higher. I don't mind a little doing a little extra to reduce possibilities of me making a mistake.
First time for me doing anything around the efi on a bike.

Thanks fellas, depressurize the fuel pump, I won't forget that.
Glider I remember you saying before about that $45 plastic piece... I figured if I disconnect the fuel line it would eliminate the possibility of me breaking it, and I would be able to lift the tank a little higher. I don't mind a little doing a little extra to reduce possibilities of me making a mistake.
First time for me doing anything around the efi on a bike.

Good idea to disconnect it. I usually use a long pair of long nose pliers and a long thin screwdriver to disconnect the injector plugs with the rear of the tank lifted just a bit.

Good tip there, thanks again, I sometimes have problems with tight spaces 'cause my paws and forearms are a little thick(and my sweetie says my knuckles drag on the ground):rofl
I put the pipes on last weekend V&H Ovals(nice rumble from the saddle) and was looking in and around the injectors to try to come up with a plan of attack. I think I'm good to go now, thanks to you fellas.:s

Last edited:
Take a look at the bails on the injector plugs of the TFI how they release to see what you have to do to remove the plugs off the injectors. It makes life a bit easier once you know how to release them.

Yeah, the first thing I did when the fueler came was check out the connectors and the wire clips you push down to release them and then looked on the bike to see where they were and how easy they would be to reach, with the stock breather off(changing to SE) and the tank lifted, I think it should be fairly easy to do.
Thanks again for all the tips,gives a guy a lot more confidence when you get positive,helpful suggestions.

Back