free website stats program Installing Hydraulic Tensioners | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing Hydraulic Tensioners

kburks

Hello I am in the process of installing Screaming Eagle hydraulic tensioners. After removing the cams from the support plate I discovered an inner bearing race still on the left cam and the complete bearing on the right cam still attached. I heated the stock plate in my oven and the right bearung came right out. Will I need to have these pressed off ? I'd rather remove them myself if possible. Also will I get new bearings with the Screaming Eagle upgrade kit I ordered ? I've worked on several EVO cams , but this is my first Twin Cam project. Any advice would be appreciated.

Just check the self help section of the forum, tons of posts done on this subject. TQuentin did a really nice workup on the whole process including some great photo's. I did the project myself with TQ's writeup and it worked out fine. The newer style cams don't use the pressed on bearings, but are rather "automotive" style cams. You can just install the new cams with the new camplate and oil pump and you're should be ready to go. Good luck....

Just check the self help section of the forum, tons of posts done on this subject. TQuentin did a really nice workup on the whole process including some great photo's. I did the project myself with TQ's writeup and it worked out fine. The newer style cams don't use the pressed on bearings, but are rather "automotive" style cams. You can just install the new cams with the new camplate and oil pump and you're should be ready to go. Good luck....
The replacement cam plate (KIT) comes the SAME as the old style bearing plate as far as cam bearings and cam fit.. Bearings Press in-out on the plate.

The newer TC bikes of 07 and newer design come with No bearings because they were replaced by using "Bushings" and will not exchange either direction on the cams,,, also because the Rear of newer cams are 1" (per R Bingham to my post asking the same).

signed....BUBBIE

that is correct but you can order cams to fit the bearingless plate and still fit the 3/4s" bearing of the 88's

I have SE cams and lifters with only 12,000 the motor. My cams and lifters look great. I really don't want to replace them at this point. The SE instructions say to replace the 43 tooth cam sprocket. With only 12,000 miles on it does it really need to be replaced are they just trying to sell me parts. They also recomend part # 94667-00 to plug a passage. My bike is an 05 do I need it. This project started with just installing a Baisley bypass spring and has gotten crazy. All I wanted was more oil pressure.

I purchsed the bike like this
05 Ultra Classic
SE 264 cams
SE CNC Ported Heads
SE High Compression Pistons
SE Roller Rockers
SE04 L Lifters

Hello I am in the process of installing Screaming Eagle hydraulic tensioners. After removing the cams from the support plate I discovered an inner bearing race still on the left cam and the complete bearing on the right cam still attached. I heated the stock plate in my oven and the right bearung came right out. Will I need to have these pressed off ? I'd rather remove them myself if possible. Also will I get new bearings with the Screaming Eagle upgrade kit I ordered ? I've worked on several EVO cams , but this is my first Twin Cam project. Any advice would be appreciated.

Make sure your new plate is supposed to have bearings, or does the new plate have journal bearings that the cam shafts' outboard end ride in. If you have not already gotten all the stuff, check this out:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Yes the new plade will need bearings. I have ordered the new bearing kit. When I removed the cams from the cam plate I had a senior moment and forgot to mark the inner cam chain direction. I'm concerned that this may cause me problems down the road. The cam gears look go odand don't appear to be worn, only 12k on them. Thanks for the George's garage tip the inner cam bearing removal tool worked great.

Back