free website stats program Installing GPS to Fatboy? | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing GPS to Fatboy?

Cruiser4

Hi folks!

I've recently purchased a Garmin Zumo 550 with the hope of installing it at the weekend, only to find that the Fatboy doesn't have an Electrical Accessory plug fitted (even though I could find the Accessory fuse)? Does anyone have any suggestions where else I could connect so that the GPS power switches off with the ingnition?

Any help would be appreciated! :dknow

the power point is a good idea. there is a hot lead in the tray just in front of the battery, i use a same type setup on my deuce. i got a spade lug to plug into the wire end and it's fused for protection, it can be unplugged quickly. There's another option I use, the accessory side of the switch in the console is hot when turned to accessory, it lights the speedo lights and you can see the odometer. i soldered and shrink wrapped a fused lead from this wire that is hot when the bike is running and when the switch is turn to accessory. i've used this to charge cell phone use mp3 player.

i'm adding stuff. to solder the connection point on the accessory wire, remove the accessory fuse from the fuse box, i also unplugged the connector from the switch when doing this. there's nothing more aggrevating than causing more electrical problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses guys, and the Kryakyn fitting instructions are very helpful for the routing. If I go down the solder route to connect to the back of the console, does the accessory power also work from the ignition side?
Still it's a shame there isn't a wire provided for this?

yes, when the ignition switch is on for starting and running the bike there is power to the accessory side. i have a 06 and 07 service manual. neither schematic shows a wire to the accessory side but there is one. get a multimeter, if you don't have one and it should check out. soldering and shrink wrapping helps under the console to keep vibration from loosing the connection. wire tying also helps keep wiring stable.

Thanks Chopper, that's really helpful and it even gives the part number of the fuse adaptor wire which I may need. Now you come to mention it, I don't suppose you might have a PDF of the Softail Electrical diagnostics? Mine's a 2007 but any year would be helpful???

Cheers!:cheers

Thanks all!

Sorry Cruiser, I recommend picking up the ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS MANUAL for your bike, it will pay for it self over and over and over. Also the info I posted is on HD's web site if you look in the P&A section, they have ton's of free instructions & manuals you can download. Have fun.

Back