free website stats program installing chrome lower legs | Harley Davidson Forums

installing chrome lower legs

KingHeritage

Im getting ready to install a set of chrome lower legs on my 07 heritage.I have the tools and my garage to work in.Is there anything tricky that I should know before I start the job?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Im getting ready to install a set of chrome lower legs on my 07 heritage.I have the tools and my garage to work in.Is there anything tricky that I should know before I start the job?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This year i've installed 4 sets:2 on 08 flstf's,1 on an flstn and another on an 06 flstc.I read up on the manual(which wasn't a great help),took my time and did one leg at a time.I'm presuming you're using a jack?
Take the mudguard/fender off first-carefully- and then the caliper.The wheel comes out easily after that.At this point,i loosened the Allen bolt that goes up through the bottom of the fork and into the damper rod inside.This is MUCH easier to do now while you still have spring pressure to hold it.Don't undo it,just crack it one turn or so,so you can get it out later.It might seep a bit.Now you'll need to remove the tinwork and lights
I left everything connected:just wrapped all bits in rags for protection and used elastic straps to support them all,this takes tension off wires and the brake line.
To actually remove the forkleg,you will need a geared ring spanner-can't remember if it was 1/2 " or 9/16.This baby will slip in under the headlight assembly and make it SO MUCH easier to undo the pinch bolt in the bottom triple clamp.Then undo the big nut in the top triple clamp:it goes into the top of the fork tube.Now you should be able to twist and pull down at the same time and remove the whole forkleg.The cow bells can stay bolted in place.
Next bit is tricky.Dont turn the fork upside down,there's a hole in the top (where that big bolt goes through the top triple clamp)and it will leak.THIS GOES DOUBLY IF YOU FILL IT UP BEFORE PUTTING IT BACK IN THE BIKE.I suggest you assemble everything and have it all back on the bike,then put in the requisite ammount of forkoil.

Back to tricky:you need to hold the fork tube whilst undoing the nut on top of the fork tube.If you crack this one while the fork is still in the bottom triple clamp,you can use that as a vice.ie:youv'e loosened it,pulled the fork almost out and retightened the pinch bolt to clamp the forktube.Loosen the big nut,then loosen the pinch bolt and remove forkleg.BEWARE!Fork is under tension!!Take the nut off carefully and the spring WILL pop out with considerable force.I used a rag over the top to ease the force.
Now you can pull the fork apart by undoing that Allen bolt at the bottom .Carefully take the snap ring out from atop the seal and by tugging upward on the tube,the fork should separate.

Use new fork seals when you reinstall -i used a piece of40mm poly conduit to drive the new forkseal down the leg and into position.This size pipe fits around the forktube perfectly and sits on the outside rim of the seal.If you cant get that,use an old seal to tap the new one into position,VERY carefully.Another old trick is to anneal the copper washers on the forkleg Allen bolts.Dont forget to free them from the holes in your old forks.Heat on a stove until cherry red and then douse in cold water,this make them softer and maintains their ability to work.HEAT ONLY;NOT MELT!
Use two people to put the forks back togethor;you'll need to compress the spring into the forktube whilst similtaneously getting the threaded top of the forktube to grab the thread inside the tube.I used a speedbrace with a big socket to force it down while my assistant held the forks.

Bloody long winded i know.Sorry. Hope it helps.GOOD LUCK.

Wow, now I know why my dealer had a tag on a FLHX promoting chrome front end for $920 installed. That sounds like a lot of labor.

Wow, now I know why my dealer had a tag on a FLHX promoting chrome front end for $920 installed. That sounds like a lot of labor.
Taint really.I did mine on my flstn by myself.From jack up to jack down took me about 5 1/2 hours.And that included a trip to my brother's to procure some 40 mm pipe.With the aid of the other owners,and just cruising along we can do it in 3 hours.And done right.Right ammount of oil,torqued fasteners and all loctited.Plus satisfaction.
When you consider i got my chromed lowers via e bay(as you could too) and total cost landed in OZ was $150 AUD, it's a bargain.

Anyway,aren't you the left seat guy?You must have a licence to print cash?:D

Thanks guys,this is a great forum.You can get answers here for any question.I'm sure I'll be able to handle the job.By the way does anyone know if the 6mm long allen socket is available at Sears?

Taint really.I did mine on my flstn by myself.From jack up to jack down took me about 5 1/2 hours.And that included a trip to my brother's to procure some 40 mm pipe.With the aid of the other owners,and just cruising along we can do it in 3 hours.And done right.Right ammount of oil,torqued fasteners and all loctited.Plus satisfaction.
When you consider i got my chromed lowers via e bay(as you could too) and total cost landed in OZ was $150 AUD, it's a bargain.

Anyway,aren't you the left seat guy?You must have a licence to print cash?:D

Now THAT would solve a lot of problems, wouldn't it?

Back