free website stats program Installing Chrome Fuel Tank Trim (#61653-04) | Harley Davidson Forums

Installing Chrome Fuel Tank Trim (#61653-04)

garyllantz

I want to install a chrome fuel tank trim panel (part #61653-04) on my Sportster. The directions say that I need a Console Alignment tool (part # HD-47114) to help align the trim around the gas cap. I am unable to locate this device to buy one. Any tips on placement of the trim without use of this device?

I tried several searches for the alignment tool and came up empty. It is possible the number is transposed? I can usually come up with something for a part #.

I've verified the part number and it appears to be correct. The alignment tool is simply a ring that goes over the gas cap to assist you in keeping the new trim centered as you slip it over the tank opening. It seems like anything (like a jar lid) would work as long as it is big enough to fit over the gas cap but small enough so the hole in the new trim can slip over it. I just can't seem to find anything exactly that size.

When the Service Manuals come out, the part numbers are what they bought and used at the factory. Then they buy after-market or mass produced on a bunch of stuff. So... HD's computer will cross reference to the new part number. I know this because the other day I ordered about a dozen things from HD using part numbers I got from my SM. About half of the numbers had changed... But they figured it out and gave me the explaination above.

Back