free website stats program Installed new bars and now have issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Installed new bars and now have issues

cuffnum

:DLast weekend I put a new set of bars on my 2008 Road King Classic. I love the bars :D, but could do without the issue I have created. we extended all the wiring and everything execpt the throttle works fine. But it doe not have the same acceleration & the engine light is on. I pulled the codes and here they are, P1510, P2127, P2138. At first I thought it had to be the throttle wiring. But I don't know how it could run this well if the wiring was all screwed up. The really confusing one is that when I have the clutch in and the brake applied it will not rev much at all. But if I let off the brake it revs fine. :dknow HELP!

Boy, did you pick a doozy for your first post! You've got me worried about doing anything to the bars on my Street Glide. I can't help you but there's some REALLY smart people on this forum that will be jumping in very soon.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Actually I might be a little help. Here's the diagnostic codes if you don't have them already:

08 DTC Codes [Archive] - Harley Davidson Community

Looking at the codes my amateur mechanic's guess would be something messed up when you reinstalled the right grip/sensor and it's now in the "limp home" mode. Why it's only when the brake is applied is kind of baffling.

Good going Doc!:s

Sounds like you have a gremlin on your hands for sure. Check the codes and see what it brings up. You may have to trace the wires you extended with a diagram to verify they are hooked up properly, it sounds as if something is crossed up.

The plot thickens. As Glider said, I think you're to the point where you're going to have to spend some time with the wiring diagram and see if any of these things are related.

Sorry "bout that, still going over the wires and connections with a schematic would be the best bet here. I'd bet on a incorrect connection in the harness.

I would remove the throttle, unplug the wiring. Make sure everything is straight ie. you didnt bend a pin when you plugged things back in. And re-install everything. The manual says to make sure your connections "snap" together fully.
Just a suggestion.

Back