free website stats program Installed a Harley Fairing Mount Oil Temperature Gauge kit (Part # 70900283) that doesn't work | Harley Davidson Forums

Installed a Harley Fairing Mount Oil Temperature Gauge kit (Part # 70900283) that doesn't work

I have searched through the forum and haven't found anything on the installation of this kit. I have found threads to other similar gauges, but not this kit. In March I purchased a Harley Fairing Mount Oil Temperature Gauge kit - Fahrenheit (Part Number 70900283) and installed it in my 06 Ultra Classic. The installation instructions (J05410 REV.2011-05-180), for me, weren't easy to follow. It seems that the instructions have you disconnect the plugs from the dash mounted Ambient Air Temperature gauge (connecting them to the oil gauge) and under fairing Ambient Air Sensor (connector 107). Using the connector from the under fairing Ambient Air Sensor (connector 107), and using the supplied cable from the kit, connected the oil temperature sensor in the oil pan to the under fairing Ambient Air Sensor connector (connector 107). I have done all of this but the oil temperature gauge does not work. :small3d023: Additionally, nowhere in the instruction does it say to disconnect the Ambient Air Temperature connector from the sensor that is installed in the back of the front cylinder. To see if this would make a difference, I tried disconnecting it and it throws an error code. Looking for any advice on how to get the oil temperature gauge working before I hit the road to Sturgis at the end of this month.

The sensor on the rear of the front cylinder is NOT the ambient air temp. sensor. That is the Engine Temp. sensor, leave it connected. There is a small White box looking thing that is inside the fairing that connects to the outside ambient temp gauge, that is what you unplug.
tourbox

yes, these are the instructions

The sensor on the rear of the front cylinder is NOT the ambient air temp. sensor. That is the Engine Temp. sensor, leave it connected. There is a small White box looking thing that is inside the fairing that connects to the outside ambient temp gauge, that is what you unplug.
tourbox

thanks Tourbox for clarifying the sensor on the back of the front cylinder. It is the little white box under the fairing (that is the Connector 107 that I refered to) that I have disconnected the cable lead from and connected it to the oil temperature sensor cable. Still the gauge doesn't work

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Tourbox for clarifying the sensor on the back of the front cylinder. It is the little white box under the fairing (that is the Connector 107 that I refered to) that I have disconnected the cable lead from and connected it to the oil temperature sensor cable. Still the gauge doesn't work

You could have a bad gauge; test it to make sure the gauge is working. I have installed that kit in a couple of older FLHT models with no issues. I tossed all the air temp system, gauge and wiring, installed oil temp sensor and gauge per the instructions with no issues.

You could have a bad gauge; test it to make sure the gauge is working. I have installed that kit in a couple of older FLHT models with no issues. I tossed all the air temp system, gauge and wiring, installed oil temp sensor and gauge per the instructions with no issues.

Hey Dolt, how do I test the gauge?

Connect the sending unit to the gauge and drop the sensor into a pan of boiling water.

Thanks for this Dolt. There is a slight problem with this in that the cable from the oil temperature sensor (the one that comes in the kit I bought) does not plug in directly to the oil temperature gauge. The connector does not fit to the gauge directly as if plugs into the ambient air temperature sensor and is a smaller plug. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Connect the sending unit to the gauge and drop the sensor into a pan of boiling water.

Thanks Dolt. I tried this and the guage ran right up to 180 degrees. I installed it back into the oil pan as per the instructions and it now works. It doesn't regiter right away but I took the bike out on a long run and it was up to 230 degrees. So it is work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back