free website stats program Inner Primary Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner Primary Leak

BrettR

How hard is it to change the gasket for an inner primary seal leak on a 2002 fxdl? The leak in not bad but after a couple of hours it will leak a little on the ground. A couple of drops. thanks:)

How hard is it to change the gasket for an inner primary seal leak on a 2002 fxdl? The leak in not bad but after a couple of hours it will leak a little on the ground. A couple of drops. thanks:)

Can you find the leak? is it at the belt/shaft connection or ?

If you have the big book HD offered for the bike... It is still a lot of work. If you do your own maintenance and have the time/special Tools.

When i did mine apart for a leak, i also put a new double chain all new seals, making sure not to cut the new seals on the splines, I used plastic wrap...
LOTS of WORK..... for me. but rewarding!

a drop or two of oil is easily replaced until it becomes a tablespoon or so.

In the old days it wasn't TABOO for oil drops or so, cause it being said that "harley marked it's spot" but with todays fine designed bikes NO!

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks, for the info. That is the info I needed. I'll probably let it go for a while until it gets worse.:p:)

Thanks, for the info. That is the info I needed. I'll probably let it go for a while until it gets worse.:p:)

OK, but check that it is not just that tranny vent tube blowing mist on the inside of your inner primary! I chased a bunch of harder potential problems before figuring it out!!

TQ

OK, but check that it is not just that tranny vent tube blowing mist on the inside of your inner primary! I chased a bunch of harder potential problems before figuring it out!!

TQ
Could you elaborate on that? Where does the mist come out, and where does it show up 1st? Etc.

Thanks,
Rich P

Could you elaborate on that? Where does the mist come out, and where does it show up 1st? Etc.

Thanks,
Rich P

On the top of the tranny visible from the left side should be a black rubber hose looks like a J blowing oil out the top vent on the tranny

Back