free website stats program Inner Primary Bearing Replaced, and more... (long post warning!) | Harley Davidson Forums

Inner Primary Bearing Replaced, and more... (long post warning!)

bobalu

Thanks to this forum and your collective knowledge, I was able to diagnose an annoying loud noise as a failed inner primary bearing on my 2010 RK Classic (18,203 miles, purchased new in 2011 as a carry over floor model). My bike is out of the factory warranty, but I have the Extended Service Plan coverage.

Went to pick up my bike from the dealership after the repair was completed (replaced IPB) and when I started it, the exact same sound was there as when I originally brought it in. :wall I refused to take the bike and they brought the mechanic out to talk to me. He was a nice guy and explained the noise was coming from the transmission, although the IPB was in fact worn and was replaced. He said the transmission main shaft was also worn, but not enough for HD to cover replacement under warranty (little to no metal trace in the fluid). I was supposed to ride the bike until it got worse, then bring it in. (???) I still refused to take the bike back and expressed my disappointment (politely), simply stating that it obviously was not fixed. I honestly was ready to walk away, leave the bike there, and take my fight up with HD directly. He told me to wait while he spoke with the service manager. When he came back he told me to leave the bike and they would complete the repairs to my satisfaction (I must admit that I was a bit stunned by this response!).

5 weeks went by with my bike apart at the shop while I waited for a back ordered part from Harley (in fairness, not the dealerships fault). I just picked it up today and it runs like a Swiss watch.

So, in addition to the inner primary bearing, they replaced the compensator (SE Big Twin) and rebuilt the transmission (new mainshaft kit) with all the bearings, seals etc., all covered under the extended warranty.

It was my wife that insisted I get the ESP warranty when I bought the bike. Odd that she knows Harley Davidson's so well... This repair alone far exceeded the cost of the extended warranty. I really love this bike (my first HD) and am happy that its fixed, but am bummed that this stuff had to be replaced after only 18,000 miles. I have always changed fluids regularly in my bikes and maintain them religiously. I'm really hoping that I don't have to do this again in another 20k miles. Not that impressed with MoCo quality (sad to say).

Anyway, thanks to you all for the great posts that helped me identify the problem in the first place.

Were you using Syn3 in all three holes?

No! (learned that on the board here too). Redline in engine, Redline Transmision and Spectro Primary. the mechanic credited the "not enough wear yet" to the synthetic fluids used. I think would consider Formula+ for the primary next time.

No! (learned that on the board here too). Redline in engine, Redline Transmision and Spectro Primary. the mechanic credited the "not enough wear yet" to the synthetic fluids used. I think would consider Formula+ for the primary next time.

I used Redline 20w50 in engine, Heavy Duty Shockproof in tranny, and MTL in primary. I have no problem with them and don't think it is Redline problem... I read all over and it is cheap bearing! I have 20,000 miles on my 2010 RKC bike and keep my eye on it. :small3d002:

I used Redline 20w50 in engine, Heavy Duty Shockproof in tranny, and MTL in primary. I have no problem with them and don't think it is Redline problem... I read all over and it is cheap bearing! I have 20,000 miles on my 2010 RKC bike and keep my eye on it. :small3d002:
you cant go wrong using redline trans would not lasted that long without it I swear by it as do many others

I have used synthetic in all my bikes (Mobil 1, Redline, Spectro, Amsoil) and will keep doing it as long as I'm able to afford it. (no knock on conventional fluids, they work fine with regular changes too). What the mechanic was saying was the synthetic really works well in reducing wear.

Apparently mine was the 9th transmission/IPB overhaul that he has worked on this year.

I have used synthetic in all my bikes (Mobil 1, Redline, Spectro, Amsoil) and will keep doing it as long as I'm able to afford it. (no knock on conventional fluids, they work fine with regular changes too). What the mechanic was saying was the synthetic really works well in reducing wear.

Apparently mine was the 9th transmission/IPB overhaul that he has worked on this year.

Just curiously, what year did he work on bikes? I do know that yours is 2010 which I have... Hope you have answer... I read all over that that bearing is underrate. Geez! :small3d002:

Just curiously, what year did he work on bikes? I do know that yours is 2010 which I have... Hope you have answer... I read all over that that bearing is underrate. Geez! :small3d002:

Sorry DF, he didn't say specifically what year bikes, but I believe the factory changed over to the SE Compensator for the 2011 model year (?). I don't know if the inner primary bearing was ever upgraded on model years after 2010. The transmission main shaft that he put in had the regular part number with a "B" after it (part no. 35467-06B). He explained to me that means Harley has changed this part somehow (it would have gone from 06 to 06A to 06B).

Maybe some more knowledgeable members will chime in with this info?

That is okay as I would expect you said like that. It wont hurt to ask. :bigsmiley12:

Last time I looked up the part number it was "A". Now, it is "B". They changed them twice I am design engineer and understand what revision is! Not good! :small3d015:

Back