free website stats program Info on how to use m/c jack on Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Info on how to use m/c jack on Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.

trvlr

I'm having a brain cramp at the moment. I can't find anything in the shop manual, owners manual or searching HDT, or web in general that gives info on the proper way to use a lift to get an Ultra raised up. Just got this new (used) Craftsman Professional m/c jack, and never using a lift before, want to do a little reading before using.

Anyone got any info they can share, or can link me to anything describing how to properly use? I saw something on HDT talking to rubber mounts that had to be used to get a Dyna off the ground. Are these required for an Ultra? Looks like the lower frame rails are low enough to where nothing would be damaged on the engine casing, etc.

Trying to find where is best lift point to get equal fore/aft balance, does bike need to be vertical as possible before raising, anything need to be aware of when lifting... Thanks

Up to 2007 the jack should just roll under there and lift it with no problem. I don't know about 08 and up. I have a tour pack and always put the jack as far back on the frame as possible. When I am not riding my bike sits on the jack at all times.

stef - do you leave the bike on the jiffy stand when you start raising up. What side do you come in from..the side the bike is leaning, or from the other side? thx

I use a bungie cord, wrapped around the engine guard several times and hooked to the Jiffy, to make sure the Jiffy is in the 'down' position when lowering the bike back down.

I always lift my bike from the right side with the jiffy stand extended. This helps stabilize the bike when it is lowered off the stand.

Unlike the touring bikes, the softail has its own issues with respect to bike jacks because the shocks come in contact with the jack pads.

Sears $180 or Harbor Freight $100 yellow ones work well and at a reasonable cost (they both go on sale at typically $30-$40 savings)...

As others have posted, bike on jiffy stand, bungee cord it so it will not retract...see pictures below,

DSCN0821-1.jpg

1) Slide lift in from the right side...raise until it just contacts bike' lowest point to check alignment and desired flat and clear lift areas, on my Sporty it is tricky to get it exactly in between the frame tubes and two crossmembers yet clear the jiffy stand bracket.

2) Check that the rubber pad supports or adapters (if you use them) are contacting desired areas that will not slip out of front or back centered in the saddle area center of gravity.

DSCN0820-1.jpg

3) Have bike in gear so it won't roll forward or back...and lift bike, (you can use a second person the first few times to help control the bike), and lift 'til the bike is level...but most of the weight still on the tires. Check the contact points and bike is stable and centered in the contact areas you chose.

4) Lift to where wheels just clear the ground, rock bike slightly to check stability...if still not quite STABLE, I use wooden paint stirrers to shim any "ODD" gaps, it should not rock on the stand supports...

DSCN0825-1.jpg

5) Lift to desired height, note that the center of gravity over the jack and at the desired height, make sure safety latch falls into desired notch and safety straps can be put on and your done.

6) Lowering is reversed, only you have to pump lift up to unlatch safety, then lower with pedal fully depressed, it will go fast for the first inch and then slow way down...till the wheels touch. Undo safety straps, stabilize bike as it eases over onto the side stand, again have a helper to stabilize until you are comfortable doing it solo.

On the Pitbull Lift website there is a video on how it is done...

thank you folks and thank you NewHD for the visual detail. That helps tremendously and appreciate that. I didn't think to check out any of the manf sites, but will check that pitbull site..thanks all -

After installing the Profile lowering kit on my '10 Ultra, I found my Craftsman jack would no longer go under the frame. Problem solved by rolling the bike up on 2 pieces of 1x12 shelving board and using a third for the jiffy stand.

Just a FYI if it has been lowered.

Lilman

I'm giving this a go, and I've got the jack lift pads as far to the rear of the bike as I can get them. I can't take the lift pads any further towards the rear, as there is a cross-brace welded onto the frame tubing on the rear underside.

I'm jacking the ole boy up, and the front wheel is 6" off the ground, and the rear wheel is still grounded. I'm not liking the looks of this, so doing a check with the authorities here, as to if this is normal. Doesn't look normal to me.

The brace is about 3/8" below the plane of the underside tubing, and my lift pads are too wide to get in between the side ridges of this brace. So I can't position the lift any further back. Suggestion please...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back