free website stats program Indy taking too long to work on bike? | Harley Davidson Forums

Indy taking too long to work on bike?

horizonchaser

Contributor
I had inquired from an independent dealer how much it would cost to do the chain cam chain tensioner upgrade. He gave me a quote and said that it was "about a days work". We arranged for a day for me to drop the bike off. I hurried out of work and rode over to his shop so I could get the bike in there before he closed. This was on a Wednesday. I figured that when he said it would take about a day that he would have all day Thursday to work on it, and for good measure, Friday too, in case he needed some more extra time. When I called him on Thursday from work around 3:00p.m. and asked him how it was coming along he said "I'm working on it" I asked if it would be done by the weekend so I could ride it and he said that: "It's a big job and it won't be done till next week sometime." Needless to say I was disappointed that I couldn't get the bike back in time to ride it for the weekend but my question is: Why did he say it takes "about a day" and then hang onto the bike for an additional length of time? The skeptic in me doesn't see him working on it flat out for all those days but rather working on it for a while, then going onto another bike, say perhaps a tire change. In other words he's got my bike tied up unnecessarily long. By the way, when I mentioned it to him that he said it would take about a day he said that it's a big job and with the phone ringing and what not it takes time. What do you think?

Last edited:
I personally would drop in on this shop to see the progress. I would first see what the work entails so as not to be ignorant of what the shop is telling me. I would also tell him that you told me one day and now you have changed your story. The phone ringing and other distractions are not your problem (although they are now with this business). Sorry to say you are at his mercy now.

Maybe he needed to order parts [or tools]. I have been told a number of times that the work on my bike would be done in a spacific amount of time and unfortunatly sometimes it takes longer. Hope it all works out for you.

If its any conciliation horizonchaser, when my bike was new and I worked at the Harley where it was purchased I need gas tank replaced for dirt in paint. You would think a couple hour job at best. Right. No. While jumping fuel pump to drain tank it inadvertently burnt up ECM. Then bike sat for a couple days while they tried to figure out why bike would ot start. After I talked to office manager who then talked to Service manager they got it back in line and Dio the ECM was burnt up. When parts was not sure how long it would take to get a new one they found one a dealer 50 miles away. So I contacted my wife and she drove a 100 miles round trip for ECM, the shop installed and programmed road tested bike and released to me. It ended up a full 7 days on a bike that was 3 weeks old. When I question service manager, he thought that it was my own fault, do to working bike into schedule when he was off.
Sooooo sorry for the long story which has nothing to do with your situation, but it happens to the best of us and I agree that you should stop in at shop to check on status. :s

I hear your pain here, I would stop by to see what is going on, I know it is easy to say but try not to rush him. Why I say this is since retiring I look back at the mentality of what I call the Mcdonalds drive thru brake job, every day I would have customers who wanted a 15 minute brake job. That said if your Indy made you a promise he should have done his best to keep it and KEEP you informed of the progress or lack of IMO Best of Luck to you

Last edited by a moderator:
On my 01 dyna we changed the oil pump, cam support plate, lifters, push rods and installed S&S 510G cams in about 4 - 5 hours. I would pay them a visit to see what is going on.

If its any conciliation horizonchaser, when my bike was new and I worked at the Harley where it was purchased I need gas tank replaced for dirt in paint. You would think a couple hour job at best. Right. No. While jumping fuel pump to drain tank it inadvertently burnt up ECM. Then bike sat for a couple days while they tried to figure out why bike would ot start. After I talked to office manager who then talked to Service manager they got it back in line and Dio the ECM was burnt up. When parts was not sure how long it would take to get a new one they found one a dealer 50 miles away. So I contacted my wife and she drove a 100 miles round trip for ECM, the shop installed and programmed road tested bike and released to me. It ended up a full 7 days on a bike that was 3 weeks old. When I question service manager, he thought that it was my own fault, do to working bike into schedule when he was off.
Sooooo sorry for the long story which has nothing to do with your situation, but it happens to the best of us and I agree that you should stop in at shop to check on status. :s
I know what you mean there. Last year I took my bike in to have the rear tire replaced. When I went to pick it up they informed me that the rear head exhaust pipe got cracked as they tried to remove it .It sat in the shop for 3 weeks while I waited for a replacement. I was bummin' big time! I went from expecting to pick
up my bike with a new rear tire to total dejection because of the cracked pipe! :(
On my 01 dyna we changed the oil pump, cam support plate, lifters, push rods and installed S&S 510G cams in about 4 - 5 hours. I would pay them a visit to see what is going on.
That's what most are saying. Tomorrow will be the eighth day. He did say that it would be ready this week so I am just going to have to be patient and wait for him to complete the job, but like 01 Dynaglide said, he did the whole job in 4-5 hrs. My indy needs 8 days & counting? Ugh!! ;-(

Being a small business owner I know that over the years I have not satisfied everyone.
Having said that if I promise someone to have a job done in a certain amount of time and I cant do that,I will tell them why I couldn't do it in the amount of time that I said.
Even now at 51 my stated hours are 8am to 5 pm. 5 days a week,but most of the time I am at the shop for far longer and most weekends trying to keep my customers happy.Most shops won't put in the extra anymore.It is a new breed of worker and owner and I am afraid we are the ones to blame.
We raised this generation of the workforce.:(

I know what you mean there. Last year I took my bike in to have the rear tire replaced. When I went to pick it up they informed me that the rear head exhaust pipe got cracked as they tried to remove it .It sat in the shop for 3 weeks while I waited for a replacement. I was bummin' big time! I went from expecting to pick
up my bike with a new rear tire to total dejection because of the cracked pipe! :(
That's what most are saying. Tomorrow will be the eighth day. He did say that it would be ready this week so I am just going to have to be patient and wait for him to complete the job, but like 01 Dynaglide said, he did the whole job in 4-5 hrs. My indy needs 8 days & counting? Ugh!! ;-(

I would say that eight days is not a rush job! Put my bike in the shop for the same job, only took two days. This was an independent indy that done the work and I am very satified with the work at a very good price. I offered him a tip and he refused to accept it. So I hope you get your bike back tomorrow and I hope it runs great. Ride safe!

Back