free website stats program In need of more ground clearance | Harley Davidson Forums

In need of more ground clearance

hey all, opinions needed on how to give the old electrsglide some more ground clearance atleast on the front , it has been modified for disc brakes on rear and the brake pedal and cylinder are way bigger than the original would have been so the drag pipes that are there now are only about 2 inches off the ground. So could i extend the front fork tubes and if so would i have to purchase the lower legs also or just the tubes?

How old are the springs in the front fork tubes?

I will have to assume the tubes are as old as the bike itself because i just bought it in buckets and boxes back in the spring.based on the number under seat on left side of frame its a 65 frame but the tree says universal so im lost there.does any know if they measured the tubes in mils like 41mm or what?

Check into some of the older Wide Glide 41mm tubes (I think in 06 they went to 49mm). If the old WG's had the same rake as the new ones then they probably had the 2" longer tubes also (like the later models do). If so you can probably buy a set at Zanotti's cheaper than after market 2" over tubes.

I know some guys that have put 07 WG tubes in their 07 SB's and SG's but these are 49mm. It gives it a nice look and they say it rides nice. Some of um just bought the tubes (sometimes called 'fork pipe' in the parts list, other times called fork tube) and made spacers. Others bought the WG springs and also the lower fork pipe damper since the holes in the WG are a bit larger. But you can get away with just the tubes if you put in spacers. But you should replace the dust seals. You should not have to replace the lower legs, least you don't with a Dyna model.

I am wanting to do this someday on my SB but can't afford it right now. Anyhow longer tubes won't affect the trail any noticable amount unless you get up past an 8" extension since the ratio of trail change is very small on tube length increase. And besides it increases the trail which is good. Decreasing trail is bad. I created some cad drawings one evening just to help me visualize how all the geometry played into the various options of raked trees and tubes etc. My personal opinion of raked trees is not good, if one must rake then do it in the frame or with stem bearing cup kits that will keep the stem parallel with the forks.

Anyhow if you're curious here are the drawings. (click to open in it's own window and then maximize it)

1860164-T800600.jpg

1860166-T800600.jpg

1860165-T800600.jpg

Back